Sell my 03 cooper s for a 69' w114 diesel? Advice wanted! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sell my 03 cooper s for a 69' w114 diesel? Advice wanted!

I've recently paid off my 03 mini and have been wanting to get into something bigger. I've always had a special place in my heart for Mercedes, and have grown and obsession with the 69-70~ ish bodies.

My question is, should I sell my mini (selling for 7k) to purchase the Mercedes I've found ($3000). 112000 original miles, everything works, starts right up, 7/10 interior. 8/10 exteior. It would be my daily driver. I know that owning an older car has a negative stigma when it comes to reliability.

Any thoughts, advice, and first hand experiences would help me decide and is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
For a diesel??? Heck no!! You'll be disappointed by the power (lack thereof). If you go for an older Benz, go for one with a gas powered engine and decent gearing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I was speaking more in terms of reliability. And correct me if I'm wrong but the Diesel engine, although slow, is arguably the more reliable of the two? Besides low and slow would be the name of the game.

Thanks for the input!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have had a 72 280sel for a daily driver for about 2 years. I've put 10-12k miles a year on her and have taken two trips of over 1,000 miles. I love it. My 72 Benz is as reliable as my 2000 Audi for what it's worth
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I used my coupe as my sole vehicle for one year as a sort of experiment for myself and it has been the most enjoyable year of car ownership of my life. Having said that, I live in a city with great public transportation and I can walk to 95% of the places I need to go so the occasions that the car was laid up (the longest due to someone backing into the front crushing the trim but not harming the body thankfully) I was not stuck. I'd say with any vintage car there is always the risk of an unexpected failure no matter how reliable the car has been, these are old components, but if you buy a car that has been continuously driven then I have to say I'd absolutely do it. I only hope you are the sort of person that enjoys being the center of attention at every gas station, parking lot, while being passed on the highway, etc. You will feel like an instant celebrity in an old Benz.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: