LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1969 220d crate motor basket case

Hey guys, I am looking into buying a 1969 220d in very nice condition with a 240d crate motor sitting on the ground. The orginal 220d motor was pulled from the car because it was "smoking" at 100,000 miles and the orignal owner then bought a crate 240d from Germany. The orginal owner imported it from Germany then sold the car to my neighbor who has held on to it for about a year. He is not going to be able to get to the project so he has offered to sell me the car. What I am worried about it that a box of parts might have been misplaced during the move between the original owner and my neighbor and I would be stuck on putting the car back together. The sale of the car would include both motors and all original paperwork from sales and importation. Any helps, tips, forseen problems, and advice would be greatly apprecative. With the car in nice condition and the 240d crate motor on the floor, do you think $1,500 would be a decent price to offer him?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mercedes crate engines are completely re-manufactured engines at the factory. The are quite expensive. Make sure any and all parts in the boxes are labeled and contact the previous owner as well.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: S430 93K; E420 243K; 240D 242K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Mercedes Rebuilt Engines

U.S. Reman short block $3900, long block $6950, so $1500 for car, parts engine plus Mercedes crate engine is a no brainer if he takes it. Better act fast!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: