Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
W108: R12 to R134a Conversion
Well my project started off as a carb rebuild and ended up being a detailed excursion on obtaining scarce parts and custom fabrication. I've replaced all rubber hoses, alternator, A/C compressor, expansion valve, hoses, drryer/receiver, and condenser Converted to a Sanden 5N, fan clutch, battery hold-down bracket and battery, voltage regulator, accelerator pedal, windshield washer floor pump, instrument cluster clock and oil pressure gage, brake hoses (converted to SpeedBleeders), bled brake lines, tie-rod ends, all fluids and filetrs, replaced the rubber exhaust hangers and sealed the gas tank. Through all of this I was able to improve my welding skills as I fabricated a few parts.
So after 10 years of storage she's back on the road. It's funny how the measure of luxury has changed over time. I find the car very noisy (a droning nosie) at speeds over 55 mph, extremely slow to accelerate, and lots of body roll when going around corners. These would be unacceptable by todays standards but back in 1967 it must have been the upmost in luxury. I also fabricated an auto-transmission torque converter by-pass switch to minimize the clunking that occurs when coming to a stop. This is needed when converting from Zenith to Weber carbs.
Now it's back to the interior for a radio and minor knobs/switches. Wish my model had a sun roof. Maybe that wil be a task for next summer. Oh, and for the record I want to confirm........the gas mileage is terrible in the city (and it uses premium fuel). This car is clearly setup for highway crusing. Photos are attached. I hope they all load successfully