Time to share my project - Page 13 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2008 CLS63 AMG, 1969 Plymouth GTX, like a Roadrunner, but better
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
After reading part of this thread, I've gotta toss my 2 cents in here. Regardless of what your intent is (sell at some point or keep forever) it's your car. Do what YOU want. Personally though, I think putting a Japanese engine in it is sacrilege. I have never owned a Japanese car and never intend to. But anyway, there has to be some modern fuel injected Mercedes inline 6 that's had a manual transmission available behind it. Isn't there? Or maybe a cough, cough, BMW engine (at least it'll speak the right language).

(Ok, I'll admit, I did own a BMW. 1972 BMW Bavaria, carbureted 3.0L hemi six, 5 speed manual trans. Great car. It kept me from killing myself when I wrecked it racing a friend in his RX7)

As for color, I think that car would look great in Inferno Red (kind of a candy apple red that was used on the LX platform Chrysler 300, Magnum and Charger). This was used during the Daimler Chrysler days, so it's kind of still in the family. Or the Corvette based Cadillac used a very nice candy red metallic. And yet another was used on mid 90s Ford pickup trucks. I saw a 300 Gullwing (an original one) that was painted in a similar color... stunning. Or black would look good. Maybe do some ghost highlights on it to break up the black and modernize it a bit. ???

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm-tech View Post
After reading part of this thread, I've gotta toss my 2 cents in here. Regardless of what your intent is (sell at some point or keep forever) it's your car. Do what YOU want. Personally though, I think putting a Japanese engine in it is sacrilege. I have never owned a Japanese car and never intend to. But anyway, there has to be some modern fuel injected Mercedes inline 6 that's had a manual transmission available behind it. Isn't there? Or maybe a cough, cough, BMW engine (at least it'll speak the right language).

(Ok, I'll admit, I did own a BMW. 1972 BMW Bavaria, carbureted 3.0L hemi six, 5 speed manual trans. Great car. It kept me from killing myself when I wrecked it racing a friend in his RX7)

As for color, I think that car would look great in Inferno Red (kind of a candy apple red that was used on the LX platform Chrysler 300, Magnum and Charger). This was used during the Daimler Chrysler days, so it's kind of still in the family. Or the Corvette based Cadillac used a very nice candy red metallic. And yet another was used on mid 90s Ford pickup trucks. I saw a 300 Gullwing (an original one) that was painted in a similar color... stunning. Or black would look good. Maybe do some ghost highlights on it to break up the black and modernize it a bit. ???

Karl
Actually, a BMW engine is a brilliant idea! An S14!! Hahahaha, now that would make for a fun car with the associated G-265. Shouldn't be that expensive either. If I can't have an E30 M3, why not give a Merc the same talent?

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
post #123 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1981 500SE AMG
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaiFanatic View Post
Actually, a BMW engine is a brilliant idea! An S14!! Hahahaha, now that would make for a fun car with the associated G-265. Shouldn't be that expensive either. If I can't have an E30 M3, why not give a Merc the same talent?
Meh. S50. A 1J or 2JZ would be cool.
post #124 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1989 W126, 300SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this truck, I too have it's photo.
Wasn't that a fabulous museum (Mercedes Benz)?
post #125 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1989 W126, 300SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm-tech View Post

Karl
Maybe the BMW baby six would fit.
Actually, the Nissan might end up being too wide as it is an overhead cam.
An old Ford 289 would be a nice fit, as they are quite small.
post #126 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2008 CLS63 AMG, 1969 Plymouth GTX, like a Roadrunner, but better
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Also remember, that the Ford small block 289/302 is the same as the 5.0L. The 5.0 has a BUNCH of aftermarket parts for it, roller cam, fuel injection, and manual transmissions abound. And they can be twisted up to make pretty good power. (I've had two 5.0 HOs in the past) But still, for that application it may still be too wide.

The GM LS series engines (the late model series, not the 70s versions) make for a very compact package. They get good fuel mileage. And they make gobs of power.

Nah, I'd be looking into a late BMW hemi head, EFI, inline 6 for that car (although, I loves me V8s) if a suitable Mercedes engine was not avaiable. And ViaFanatic already has a BMW, so there should be some familiarity there.

Karl
post #127 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: V230 VIN No. VSA638234-23-071305
Some parts can be found here:

1951 Mercedes-Benz 170 | eBay
post #128 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: V230 VIN No. VSA638234-23-071305
File:MercedesBenzkenn170.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After restoration, it could look like the above image or even better!
post #129 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1989 300E 200,000+ miles
Thumbs up How goes the build?

Hey VaiFanatic,

I just read all posts here. I consider myself a purist to a point. I agree with your decision for a different engine and trans. I would even agree with a different suspension if need be. Funny you mention the VG engine cause I drive a 95 Pathy as my daily beater.

But here's the thing. Keep every part aside in a box clearly labeled in a clear container so that one day you can return it to OG if need. In the meantime you can put different engines in her to keep her on the road while you attend shows and swap meets or online to acquire parts slowly.

Oh and that car destiny stuff you feel about the age of the car, the PO school and such. I totally agree with you there, it makes it special. Keep her forever and show her around with pride.
I'd kill for my dads 220 back. blue with red interior.

Good luck with her and I'll be following your build. Back to my 89 300E restoration.

Jean
1989 W124 200,000+ miles
1991 R129 Black/grey

Sold:
1965 220S Blue/ red
1972 380sl Blue/ light tan
1972 220 White/ tan
1978 280 Brown/ brown
post #130 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
Read some of the posts, not all yet. Def. going to keep an eye on this resto/rebuild. I'd go for the small block if it fits, or maybe a 2TG. Later.

Last edited by 50$84sd; 01-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in