Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New W111 owner.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Collomps 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1964 W111 220SEb (With a diesel engine :( ).
Does anyone know where to find a free workshop manual for this one? I cant purchase online from here (3rd world) so my only option is to find one.

I plan to restore it to original, including swapping the diesel for a more correct 6 cylinder engine.

Few pics here:

MERCEDES BENZ 220 1964 en Todo Paraguay

Thanks.

#2 ·
Congratulations with your car!
I'd love to view the pictures but it's just showing me advertisements. Could you try and upload them to another website? Thanks!
I think just finding a manual in good condition "like that" might be a bit of a tough challenge. If there's any places that fixes up old cars in your area, especially old Mercedes Benz's, then ask them if they have any manuals that you can buy. I would say you should try Ebay or something similar but you apparently cannot, which is a bit sad because I do believe they are manuals for 220 SEb's for sale!

Edit: Also may I ask what the current engine in the car is, since it's not fully original?

#4 ·
Hello Jack, thanks for the tips, i will look for a manual in a antique car restoration shop thats close from here.

Here's some pics of the car, that was obviously a taxicab at some point. I want to paint in the original color 040G (Schwartz) as specified in the options plate.

The engine is a 4 cylinder diesel, very old model. Not sure of the size of this one. Is not going to be there for long.

Also can someone decode this tag for me? I know that 040 G is the paint code black, but what about the rest of the codes? I looked everywhere and no clue about it.

I believe the upholstery was grey because that was the usual combination for black W111, but that code is not showing in the data tag.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

#6 ·
You should be able to buy a very basic service manual on CD from the Classic Center in Irvine, CA or the StarTek Electronic Parts Catalog provided by MB may be of use if you can access it, it's free in the US but European users pay $25 I think.
EPC-net Online

#8 ·
..hope i am not getting ousted for recomending another forum (too..) :eek:
We embrace the other old timer forums here, it's all love for our favorite marque!

#12 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the advices, i was able to find very usefull little bits of information in the recommendd sites.
I did search for a shop manual in a local restoration shop and they recommended to buy one from USA via NetBox or similar.

So this engine is a OM621? 2.0 litres. It's supposed bo be a very slow and underpowered engine, and if the car still have its original long diff, i bet the 0-60 timer are measured in hours.
Found a 127.XXX engine without a head and stuff, only the short block wich is useless for me in that shape. Also found a W126 6 cylinder engine complete for cheap, but i am not sure about the difficulty of the swap. Perhaps i should keep searching for a carburatted 127 engine (Thanks Fredrikw63 for the advice, i also think that's the best option).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.