LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
D-Jetronic vs. Megasquirt

I have a 74 W114.072. I would like to upgrade my injection control equipment with megasquirt. I know I have a bad ignition control and MPS. I would imagine upgrading to the megasquirt would be a good option. I need to know if there is a need to build fuel rails or other mechanical connections for this. I would rather know if there was a way of using the existing hardware and just working with wiring which is my strong point.

Thank You
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Do a general search for megasquirt in this forum - there's a huge thread dedicated to the conversion...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thankyou I appreciate the reply. I have gone through the thread. I will recheck it. When I went through it last I did not see much about the d jet. I did see a lot about the k jet. I will keep digging

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: Mercedes
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a complete wire harness and ECU for your model if you are looking for one.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Javimx5 I will keep this in mind. Tracing some of my issues at the moment I am thinking of figuring out exactly what my problem is first before I replace the stock system. Someone has bypassed the ICU and left bad sensors in place that I have found so far. I need to make sure that I understand how this is working correctly first to give myself some more training on this car. There are a couple of things that if I find them to be bad will cause me to rip it all out and replace it but I am now understanding enough to know that I need to dig deeper before I make that decision. I am not exactly sure what the person was thinking when they decided to bypass sensors and the ICU. All I know is it runs ok but extrememly rich and high idle in park. With none of the componnents that control this connected properly I am not sure if my problem is that drastic yet or not.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If you're good with wiring you're half way there already. Most of the D-jet hardware can be reused making it a very easy conversion. That said it is still quite some work and it will cost you a bit. So all depends on your objective: If you want to keep your car on the road for least amount of work and expense, you're still better off trying to have the D-jet work as it should. If you're after a fun project and learning a lot about engines and their management, then the MS route is for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Hi colarc01

Send me your email, I will attach the D-jetronic system file so you can check how it works, it´s quite easy to understand. I did that 7 years ago when I bought my 280SEL,

If mixture is high is because the vacuum sensor is not working, you get CO2 around 10%.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
javimx5, With a d-jet guide and a lot of learning I found a few things. My first lesson was that the ignition amplifier was bypassed. I have since ordered an electronic ignition kit from pertronix to alleviate the need for this. I searched some more and found what I thought was a bad MPS. I found the problem with an ohm meter since I could not find a vacuum problem with it. I let everything sit most of the winter and since there is still over a foot of snow on the ground I am just now starting to work on it again.

I started ordering more parts including a MPS. When starting to order one from germanstar they verified the number i gave them from the part in my car compared to the proper number listed for it I found my MPS was not bad but the wrong one. The one installed in my car will never give the correct meter readings in turn never sending the correct information to the computer.

I will be installing all of my new parts sometime in the next few weeks. I will update on the condition after my work.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Member

Ok, MPS look similar but there are different serial numbers for Mercedes depending on the engines, these are for the 280, 350 and 450 engines, ending in 110, 111,112 and 012, those are the last 3 numbers on the Bosch reference.

You can´t mix them as they have different reostasts inside. The MPS just senses the vacuum pressure on the intake and sends a signal to the ECU so it knows the exact quantity of fuel that needs to be injected. To test it use a multimenter and you have to get 350 ohms reading.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
javimx5 thanks I now have the correct parts. I did make a stupid mistake. I pulled the distributor marked it first and now am re installing it. I must have turned it while it was out because lining it back up is not working. It will not fire at all. Now I have to go through the hassel of trying to find the correct orientation of it so I can get it running again. I will let you know what I find out as it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in