1964 220s - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1973 450 SE (minor stuff to bring it up to par)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1964 220s

New here and need help. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1964 220s but it needs some work. It needs: rear seats replaced or re upholstered, dashboard ,the padded portion is half gone. Like from the passengers side of the steering wheel all the way across the passengers side. Most of the wood looks like it's there though. The carbs need to be either replaced or rebuilt.
That seems to be the major stuff. There is some other minor stuff but from 20 feet away it looks sweet. Has the original hubs with it. I do not mind doing the work but if it's going to cost me a couple of grand to replace the back seats and dash then I may pass on it. Although....the price seems to be very good. Still a tough call since it can't be started without the carbs on. If you put in a battery and turn the key the motor does turn over though. Oil and trans fluid is liquid and not sludge. Hasn't been driven in a good 5+ years.
So what are your thoughts? and thanks in advance.

Last edited by fishigan; 09-12-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You will easily spend $2,000 on interior and repairs on a non-running fintail. If there are several big things that need done, there are likely dozens of small ones. I'm not trying to dissuade you from purchasing, in fact I love to see these cars saved and driven, but if you don't know what you're getting into first it may only cause an otherwise salvageable car to go untended to and further decay as a lost project. Just from the pics it appears the main bumpers have been painted black? If that's a sample of how problems on the car were addressed I'd assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised if things work out otherwise, then you will have no disappointments.

If you fill out your User CP with all your info, especially location, you may be able to find a member nearby willing to check it out with you and offer advice on what's needed. Keep us posted!

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. The bumpers felt like they were rubber coated. Does that make sense? The price is right but..... like the saying goes.... nothings free even when it's free.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1981 300TD 310k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Are you looking for a labor of love? Because I think that's what you are looking at in any case.

1981 300TD--310k miles
1970 280sel--172k miles
1966 230--162k miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterman View Post
Are you looking for a labor of love? Because I think that's what you are looking at in any case.
I think so man. So if it takes 2 grand to get the interior and carbs done then it cost me 2 grand for a '64 220s. I know a guy that knows a guy that restores classic American cars, maybe I can get some help with the upholstery.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I had a local import car guy give me a quote on rebuilding the carbs. Over the phone without seeing them he quoted $675. for both. It seems high to me but idk? Need some input.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1981 300TD 310k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
That car should have the m180 engine with two Solex carbs. These carbs are pretty simple (unlike the later Zeniths). Sixty bucks, a manual, and a few hours time should be all it takes to rebuild the carbs. Another few hours to do the adjustments. The factory service manual has about four pages of instructions, IIRC.

In fact, you could just try to snug up the carbs and run through the adjustment procedure before you tear them down. What are the symptoms that lead you believe they need rebuilt?

Edit: I see that the carbs are off the engine. Might as well rebuild them while they're off.

1981 300TD--310k miles
1970 280sel--172k miles
1966 230--162k miles

Last edited by carpenterman; 09-14-2012 at 07:45 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishigan View Post
Thanks for the input. The bumpers felt like they were rubber coated. Does that make sense? The price is right but..... like the saying goes.... nothings free even when it's free.
Definitely not factory, somebody probably sprayed Rhinocoat on them because they were too costly to replate. You may be able to carefully remove the coating and see what's underneath, they probably sanded to get the stuff to adhere. I'd suggest you eventually get the stainless steel repro bumpers coming out of Vietnam, people are really pleased with them and much cheaper (tho not "cheap") than oem or replating. Maybe $1,500 a set? Anyone know if they make for this model for sure?

BTW, I also just posted this article to my blog about spray on chrome finishes. Not ideal for the bumpers but maybe once you get into the bits and pieces. http://motoarigato.blogspot.com/2012...er-way-to.html

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 09-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would love to see the progress on this car as my first car was a '63 220S and I loved the thing. 4 spd on the column was fun too. That car got me hooked on European cars and couldn't be happier about it.
dws

1973 Mercedes 450SLC (PineGreen/MahoganyLeather)
1981 Mercedes 380SL FORSALE (LtIvory/PalominoMBTex)
1984 Mercedes 500SEC Euro (040Black/BlackLeather)
1992 Mercedes 300SL-24 Signal Red/Black Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in