'77 240D : What to look for when buying one? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'77 240D : What to look for when buying one?

So Friday i was browsing Craigslist just looking through the cars and whatnot and came across an ad for 1977 Benz 240D. The is asking only $600 for it. I shot him a text for some pictures which he replied to later in the evening.

The pictures showed off an absolutely beautiful, classy little sedan! I asked him why only $600. It turns out he is scheduled to leave for m.e.p.s. (army) this week and his parents don't want the car sitting at their house. He told me that if he was unable to sell it, they are going to SCRAP it!

Details: 77 Mercedes Benz 240D - MUST SEE!

- He told me the one and ONLY issue is that it has trouble starting in cold weather. I asked him if there is a block heater on it... he was unsure, which probably means "no". Would there be any other reasons for this?

Thank you for all input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
A Vega, Pinto, or Gremlin that is running is worth $600.

I hope you have bought it already, otherwise it is gone. GO FOR IT MAN, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR. If you don't like it, don't spend a dime on it, sell it for $1500 let them negotiate you down to $1200 and you double your money (less taxes, title, license, and time)

Not knowing if there is a block heater is very odd if the guy knows his car at all and is an MB Diesel aficionado-he should know that-just seems odd-my car has a block heater and I know that.

$600 sounds too good to be true for a running MB D in decent shape. Story is just slightly fishy but still worth a look (I would have bought this thing already if the guy sounded legit on the phone, etc.

Make sure this cat is not like the Ohio Craigslist killer they lured farm workers one by one to a field to manage crops and used them for target practice.

Last edited by II Kings 9:20; 09-04-2012 at 08:08 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_punK View Post
- He told me the one and ONLY issue is that it has trouble starting in cold weather. I asked him if there is a block heater on it... he was unsure, which probably means "no". Would there be any other reasons for this?
Indeed there could - poorly adjusted valves (too tight) would make it very difficult to start cold. Weak glow plugs or one or two bad ones could also make it difficult to start cold but once warmed up it would run better.

A good shop that knows these cars would be a great place to stop on your way home - perhaps it would cost another $600 (although I think not) but that car is still a bargain at $1200.

Good Luck (and do be sure he is not the Craigslist strangler...)

Frank
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Make sure the plates in the pic match your state, ask for a specific shot so you know it's a real car like a close up of the instruments, the mileage would have to match what he told you, and take a friend with you and leave the address of the place you're going to with someone else. Ask if it looks like he ran into a flock of lamps, meaning does he have an electrical cord hanging out from the hood or under the car anywhere, that would indicate a block heater you could politely suggest. lol

Oh, and make sure he's not the Craigslist Hand-chopper-offer.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I bought the car. Had a really hard time starting it but after a jump and a few squirts of wd40, she started right up. She ran quite well coming home. However, I have yet to be able to fire her up since!

New glow plugs and starter done by PO this past June. I added in a new battery and fuel filters. Still nothing. Been running through every aspect of the car this past week. I'm hoping to do a compression test this weekend. And waiting on some new parts then will check the valves.

What ALL do I need to look at to get her to fire up???
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 83 300sd 76 240d
77 240D

check if you are getting power in and out of each glow plug in series. the current
flows to number 4 first then to 3 to 2 to 1 then to ground.
if no power into number four check fuse.
if you checked for block heater and have one i would plug it in for a few hours before even trying to start it.
the 76 240d that i have has no block heater and if temp gets below 60 degrees it gets
very difficult to start. let us know what you find.
good luck with it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do the valve clearance before any compression test.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Does anybody have (or can do a quick sketch of) the wiring diagram for the aftermarket pre-glow solenoid relay? Or at least just how to finish wiring my toggle switch into it...?!

She should be ready to run now but I can't know for sure unless i get this issue sorted. Then fluid/oil change and ill be cruising...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in