post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w108 1970 280sel

Own a 1970 280 SEL and drove it to a reputable MB shop (whatever that means) to check out why my car has been running rich. I previously posted information on my car not having the original M130 engine or head. I currently have an M129 engine and head. I have the correct distributor(cap and rotor) that goes with my engine. I had previously checked the cold start valve and that seemed ok. The MB tech called me today and asked if anyone had played around with the screw at the back of the injection pump and I said "No way". I told him that my engine was rebuilt about 9 years ago and the shop owner had told me that they had only played around with the Air/Fuel mixture screw/knob.
The tech continued to tell me that someone had turned the screw all the way in and he was having trouble backing it out. Again, I repeated to him that as far as I knew, nobody had messed with it. I continued to tell him that I also knew that the screw can never be adjusted when the car is on. He said he had big hands and was a little blind (not kidding, could of been a sarcastic remark) and could not really see what else was going on behind the injection pump but it would be a great idea to remove it and see what was going on. He also said that he had worked at a shop that rebuilt the bosch pumps many years back and was familiar with what to do. He gave me 2 options:

1. Remove the injection pump and take it in to get it rebuilt or calibrated for 1,500 dollars with parts and labor, or

2. Remove it and see what was going on and then reinstall for 800 dollars.

I swore that I would never get ripped off again so now I'm posting this to get advice on what to do and what not to do. So far there is no charge for anything that they have done which is really only playing around with the cold start valve , WRD, throttle plate?, venturi air fuel mixture, distributor etc.

What easy test can be performed to check the injection pump. The mechanic did not mention anything being broken at the back of the injection pump but just said he could not back out the enrichment/leaning screw out.

I don't know much about injection, obviously, but it just seems like way too much money to just see if it works or to just remove and repair the injection pump. Where is Arthur Dalton?

Last edited by xaliscomex; 08-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If someone tried to adjust the injection pump while the engine was running the mixture is screwed up. The injection pump needs to be removed and sent to a competent shop and adjusted.

See the following site for the good information:

Pagoda SL Group - Index

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
same problem before

My elderly father took his M130 into a shop for smog check and a person did the same thing.

Screwing it in, richened it to not pass. The "respected" Mercedes independent quoted the $1200. so he called me and that weekend I went and "de-clecked" that thumb screw and adjusted to pass smog, 15 yrs later motor / car is still fine.

If you are delicate, push screw in and turn CCLW with small channel locks.
IT is possible to remove the cover and screw while in car.
IT is possible to break the adjuster screw too.

Who would put a lesser motor 2.5L into that car?

Brian O
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Don't know who would replace an m130 with an m129. I wish I knew a little more about these engines. I hear that a lot of the emissions on both the m129's and m130's were removed once the cars arrived to California. I also hear that the spark plugs were already fouled when shipped from Germany to the harbor. Who knows. I thought these cars were "built like tanks" but I'm not sure what everyone means by that. I have zero problems with my w116 300sd for sure but I want to believe that my m129 is capable of good driving with the right person maintaining the car. Step 2 for me is to play around with the injection pump and get that thumb screw loosened. No doubt that the car is damn right beautiful but I want to hear it purr not moan and whine...
I did pick the car up yesterday and a No Charge Receipt was placed on the front winshield.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 1972 300SEL 4.5, 1971 Citroen DS21, 1995 Jaguar XJS
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good that you got it out of there. See if the adjuster is free, that's the first step. Search for 'linkage tour' and adjust all the linkages, follow the tune up procedure and it should be just fine. use carb spray to check for vacuum leaks etc. around the intake and exhaust manifolds, throttle body injectors etc. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in