Starter Pull/Ignition Connect Cable - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Starter Pull/Ignition Connect Cable

Today I was cleaning the class in my instrument cluster and replacing some blown bulbs and had to put the cluster in and out a few times. On the last time I noticed a cable not connected to the ignition. I attached it and put the cluster back in - tested everything and went to turn off the car/take the key out and the key was locked. Removed the cluster removed the cable and the key comes out fine.

Ok so I dont think this was ever connected because the opposite end of it was already severed off. My question is - what is this. I know it looks like a pulley system for locking the key in but when should it be active/not active and what actually controls it/what does the severed end connect to? What is this cable called so if I decide to replace it I can. Is there anything bad about not having it connected?
Attached Images

1976 240D 115 Pumpkin Orange 700,000+ miles and rising!

http://www.benzfix.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On an original 1976-W115-240D the engine was started and stopped with a pull/push knob. The starting procedure called for keeping the knob in the glow position for 0 to 60 seconds depending on engine temperature and then pulling the knob even further into the starting position. The cable would pull the diesel pump into the start position and the starter engine would be engaged. After starting the knob should be released into the driving position. If you wanted to stop the engine, you had to push the knob. The cable would push the diesel pump into the stop position, stopping the engine.

There was a little cable running from the start/stop knob to the ignition lock, so that you could not remove/turn the key if the knob was not in the stop position. A safety feature, so that you would not have a running engine with a locked steering wheel.

Here you can see the original setup:

You can find movies of the starting procedure on Youtube.

Apparantly your car has been modified to be a key starter, probably hasn't got the original engine in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in