post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1966 200D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Was this a good idea? $400 1966 200D

Last week I was bemoaning missing a $500 66 Volvo wagon to a friend. He mentioned that his room mate was just given a 1966 200D for free. She had big plans to fix it, but has no mechanical aptitude. I told him that I was interested and to let me know if she got overwhelmed by it. Sure enough she asked if I wanted the car after a few days. I went and took a look yesterday.
The car has been pretty much a one owner car since 1966. In the mid 2000's some kid inherited it from his uncle. He drove it for a year or two, then parked it in 2008. He gave it to my friend's room-mate for free last week. The old man and his nephew kept pretty good records on the car, and seem to have kept up with it mechanically. But that's it.
The body is shot. It's very straight, but very rusty. Its brakes were gone through right before it was parked. The clutch was replaced as well.
I took it for a test ride today after borrowing the battery from a friends Dodge Ram. At first it idled very poorly, but smoothed out pretty quickly. There was a little bit of smoke when it fired up, but it burned off after a few seconds. It does this odd surging sometimes when taking off in first. The engine speeds up and slows down fairly rapidly causing the car to buck a bit. You can get it to go away by working the gas pedal a bit. There are some electrical issues that I'll have to iron out such as, turn signals not working, a faulty tail light, and the headlights needing to be turned on for the engine to fire. The suspension is also very squeaky. It feels pretty good, and if you push up and down on the car it returns to normal after bouncing once or twice, but it squeaks like a banshee. I cant get it to shift into reverse. The knuckle on the steering column that the shifter goes into looks pretty worn. I'm not sure if that would be the issue. I have a feeling this is going to be the expensive one.

I just went ahead and bought it for $400. I figure its hard to go wrong at that price for a fairly well maintained (mechanically) old Mercedes. Do you folks have any ideas what the surging might be? Maybe a vacuum issue? How about that squeaking suspension? The shifting issue? Tips on what I should do before driving it? I will of course change out all of the fluids. Thanks for any info!

Last edited by 1966200; 08-12-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! A rare find indeed - but the rust scares me, expensive and unpredictable - that what looks like a small rust bubble may be simple to repair or hide a major cancer.

The other problems seem simple enough or don't make any sense - I have a '73 220D and my thoughts are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966200 View Post
At first it idled very poorly, but smoothed out pretty quickly
Did you turn up the idle adjust (next to the key) it will raise the idle and you turn it back down a minute or two after it's started
Quote:
There was a little bit of smoke when it fired up,
Normal - it worse when you don't heat the glow plugs enough, better when they are warmed more
Quote:
It does this odd surging sometimes when taking off in first
Wild guess here - if it has sat for a long time there could be water in the fuel - it might be surging all or the time but you don't notice since it's somewhat under powered. Also lube the throttle linkage - very important.
Quote:
There are some electrical issues that I'll have to iron out ... and the headlights needing to be turned on for the engine to fire.
To run or to start? There isn't a heck of a lot going on electrically here - glowplugs & starter all in that one pull switch (yes?). If you mean the headlights need to be on or the glow plugs won't heat that might also explain the smoke and rough idle at start as they are probably not getting the current they need - just some power through some weird ground loop or power taken from the headlight switch.

Everything but the rust sounds manageable - especially if you can find a mechanic old enough to remember these.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Like I said, the rust is pretty bad. I think this is one of those cars that I can only try to keep it from getting worse and is likely not worth restoring. The rear wheel wells are toast. The trunk floor is toast. The floor pans are toast. There is more that I'm not seeing I'm sure. I'm surprised it's so rusty as it has spent its while life in this neck of the woods, and cars usually stay pretty nice here. I'll get more pictures up today or tomorrow.

As far as the idle adjuster goes, the cable is pretty stretched out. I thought it didn't work, but there was just slack in the cable. I didn't realize this until after I had driven the car. I will use the barrel adjuster under the hood to tighten that up.

I will lube up the throttle linkage and pour some new diesel in it before I drive it home.

The issue with the light switch is you have to have the lights turned on for the car to turn over. You can turn them off as soon as it has fired. The previous owner wired a second radio in (still has the Becker) and did some hokey wiring mechanistry that I'll iron out.

Any idea about the shift linkage issue? Does anyone know here I can find these parts?

Thanks for the info Frank! I'll be this things mechanic now!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Any idea about the shift linkage issue? Does anyone know here I can find these parts?
Manual or Automatic? On the column or floor (I thought this old it would be on the column). What happens when you try? Won't go in or goes all the way in too easily and does nothing? Is there some special method for reverse? (on mine you need to lift up to go into reverse).

I know on mine the linkage to the transmission can come off (drivers side under the car). There's a rubber bushing and a metal clip that holds it there.

These parts are available - the internet is your friend here.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Manual 4 on the tree. When I look at shift diagrams it looks like reverse is closer to the driver than first, but I cant seem to find it. Are you saying I need to tug out on the shifter? I guess I'll be able to experiment more once I get it home tonight.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

I do not know for sure but try pushing in and pulling out while trying to put it into reverse. It seems like there is some kind of lockout.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think if you bought it as a $400 learning experience, something to have a little fun with, and then turn it into a parts car for a non-rusty body car then it was a great idea. I don't think it is a restoration candidate. I think it is a toy to enjoy and learn from, and then mate it with a good body car that has no engine (which isn't impossible to find). Enjoy!

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The shift linkage bushings are cheap and supposedly fairly easy to replace on the column shift cars. I haven't done it but my shop (MBI Motors in Portland, SE 13th & Hawthorne) replaced mine when I was having lots of other work done. Go ahead and replace the grommet where the shifter connects to the trans as well, that is one of the biggest single causes of getting stuck out somewhere once the grommet wears enough to let the shift linkage pop off.

Did the car come with a manual? I have found several answers to questions or problems that even experienced folks have simply by reading through the manual in detail. It will explain if there is any special "moves" required to shift into reverse. Better yet, take it to one of the indie shops to order the trans bushings and ask them about the reverse shifting while you're there, most shops are helpful with advice if you're buying parts for the repair from them.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The engine has a pneumatic governor, which works by means of a venturi and a air flap in the intake manifold. The accelerator pedal controls the air flap and thereby the flow of air through the venturi. Basically: more air through the venturi = more vacuum = less fuel.

If there is a vacuum leak or if there is some problem with the governor springs, you can get surging or sawing idle and low speeds.

Here is a topic about the pneumatic governor and how it works:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...moke-220d.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Update: The car is still very rusty and infested with ants. I found a rather disturbing container pictured below. Any idea what the parts are? The little one appears to be the broken off stud that held the big one on. I found the ant nest in a rag inside of an old tool box in the trunk. At some point some ass hat laid fiberglass on all of the floor and trunk panels, then put carpet over that, pretty much destroying all of the floor boards and trunk floor. Oh well. It was $400.

Govert, the more research I do, the more I think you are likely right about it being in issue with vacuum or the governor springs. I'm hoping its just a vacuum leak, as the car supposedly ran well before it was parked.

Direct, No manual unfortunately. I dropped by the place on 13th yesterday to ask a few questions. I conveniently work 3 blocks away from there. I'm pretty handy and will likely just buy the parts and do it myself. Any small shops I should check out?

Scoot, I will likely just try to keep this old beast running as it is until it falls apart. I will keep it mechanically maintained, and try to arrest the rust as best I can, but a full resto was never really in the plans. Its certainly a jalopy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in