post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966200 View Post
Manual 4 on the tree. When I look at shift diagrams it looks like reverse is closer to the driver than first, but I cant seem to find it. Are you saying I need to tug out on the shifter? I guess I'll be able to experiment more once I get it home tonight.
I used to have a '63 220S, to engage reverse you pull the shifter towards you and up.
dws

1973 Mercedes 450SLC (PineGreen/MahoganyLeather)
1981 Mercedes 380SL FORSALE (LtIvory/PalominoMBTex)
1984 Mercedes 500SEC Euro (040Black/BlackLeather)
1992 Mercedes 300SL-24 Signal Red/Black Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966200 View Post
At some point some ass hat laid fiberglass on all of the floor and trunk panels, then put carpet over that, pretty much destroying all of the floor boards and trunk floor.
Actually I suspect it was the other way around - they came with a rubber mat and if they leaked (and eventually they all did) the water would get trapped under the rubber mat and destroy the floor. I suspect the fiberglass was an attempt to repair that damage.

The water can come from the wheel wells (after they start to rust), around the tail lights, the sunroof which drains down through the area between the rear door and rear window (if this gets clogged the water sits there and rusts through) or the rear window seals.

But you're right - for $400 - enjoy it (just don't put anything too valuable in the trunk - it might fall out).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1966 200D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, could you guys help me diagnose this surging issue? I am assuming that Govert is likely correct, but I am not sure how to pinpoint the issue. Here is a list of symptoms. Any suggestions on what to check? Just so you know this is the first Diesel I have worked on. Itis a bit intimidating. Before this it has been all pre-1967 Volkswagens (which are like working on lawn mowers), so I don't know the names of many diesel specific components.

-Car idles unevenly, rhythmically loping. It does it more so than other Mercedes diesels I have listened to around town. The engine rocks back and fourth while idling. I took a video and can post it if that would be helpful.

-There is no smoke from the exhaust. There is a small puff of white smoke as soon as the car starts, but it goes away after just a second. From what I understand this is good.

-Car bucks a bit, or lunges in first gear. I have to rev the engine up while letting off of the clutch otherwise the car will buck pretty badly in time with the loping engine. It seems powerful enough, but again, I have only weak Volkswagens with with to compare it to.

-I ran the car to get it home on five year old fuel. I now realize this was a terrible idea.

Could it also be that I need to adjust the Rack Damper Bolt? Can I look for vacuum leaks on this car like I could on a gas engine, by spraying carb parts cleaner on the vacuum lines and listen for a change in the idle? Might my issue also just be a clogged injector?

Last edited by 1966200; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1966 200D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
please see previous post

Last edited by 1966200; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is no rack damper bolt on this IP.

The idle is stabilised by the vacuum pulling the rack against a spring. If the vacuum chamber of the governor is leaking, it will start loping. Check if the vacuum chamber holds vacuum. The method is described in the link I provided.

It can also happen if the linkage isn't adjusted properly. The idle speed compensation spring is brought into operation by a cam. You should see a rod running over the valve cover and a rod to the IP connected with each other via a lever. That engages the cam and idle speed compensating spring at idle and low speeds.

Vacuum leakage only occurs at the vacuum chamber of the governor of the IP in my experience. Either the diaphragm leaks or the cam-axle seals leak. You cannot check that with spraying of break cleaner. The cam axle can be checked by putting oil on the axle ends, that will seal it temporarily and it should decrease the idle speed.

Clogged injector will show itself by smoking or a tapping sound.

Last edited by Govert70227; 08-17-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in