LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sacrificial D-Jet Dizzy?

Hello- long time reader, recent poster here.
I am researching an alternative to the trigger points for D-Jet cars (I own 2) and I need a sacrificial dizzy for research and development. I am primarily interested in M116-M117 units due to the exorbitant cost of the trigger points from Bosch or Mercedes Benz, but I assume there are other makes and models that may be in a similar $$$ situation. I cannot promise that the end result will be any cheaper, but the whole point is that the end result will eliminate a very expensive wear item. The conversion will be designed to be visually undetectable.
What I require is a complete dizzy with trigger points. While the trigger points don't have to be new, or even work, they cannot be modified ("adjusted"); the base cannot be distorted. Also, the dizzy cannot have wobble. I can deal with shaft end play.
I am located near downtown Los Angeles, so ideally someone may have one close by.
As an incentive for someone who has a decent unit they are reluctant to part with, I can offer the finished tested product at my cost to them, with free installation, on the unit they provide. I will not be responsible for running issues related to other defective components, bad tuning, etc.
This may take awhile, up to a year or more even, and it may come to nothing, such is the case with experimentation. Nothing will be harmed or destroyed so the unit will be returned in same condition as received (well, maybe in better condition if I have to shim the end play).
Any interested parties please pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
How are you going to make injectors 'fire'?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Have you given any thought to pulling one from a junk yard? Finding a distributor with functional or otherwise trigger points shouldn't be too awfully tough. Many of the pick apart yards subscribe to a data sharing network, where a request for parts in Hawaii could be answered by a junk yard in Texas ...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
I have about 6-8 of those distributors, located in San Diego area.

Brian O
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
This is interesting. Unfortunately the D-jet system also suffers from other expensive parts failure such as the MAP sensor and the wiring harness that becomes brittle. Sorting out the trigger points may only lead to the two other problems at a later stage.

On the other hand the D-jet system is the easiest to convert to a Megasquirt simple version (MS2, fuel only, batch firing) as all the hardware can be reused nearly as is. Why not consider a more global solution?

I would consider replacing the whole dizzy by a later induction system dizzy as the one found on the early K-jet equipped cars. The signal of the dizzy would be used to trigger the Megasquirt. This would delete the trigger points completely as well as the cold start valve and replace the expensive D-jet MAP sensor with the one embedded in the Megasquirt controller. The old harness could be modified but given that they are most of the time very brittle making a new one would be best. All the rest of the D-jest system can be reused including water and air temp sensors. Quite an easy conversion, for less than the cost of an new D-jet MAP sensor, or trigger points if ever available. I did it myself, but I went EDIS ignition also controlled by Megasquirt. This is one step further for much more powerful ignition. Not necessary on a stock engine really.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi GGR: Let me just say that your coupe is pretty cool! I missed one here in LA but one day...

I agree with you completely on this. Allow me to explain:

I have two D-Jet 107s. One will ultimately get the Megasquirt system, along with other tweaks. The other is a barn find car that I would like to keep original. I want to develop this idea for those who want to keep their cars as original as possible. With parts prices being what they are there is certainly room for alternatives and substitutions, especially if they look and operate the same, yet are cheaper and more reliable. BTW trigger points are available here. They list at over $900.00 at my local dealer, and over $500.00 through Bosch dealers. That leaves room for an alternative. It seems the trigger point issue is relevant to other makes, Porsche and VW being two (well, one now). I figure I will start there.

You predicted my next step, which is recreating visually correct D-Jet harnesses using higher quality materials. Aside from the MAP sensor, it seems that this accounts for the vast majority of problems with these cars.

I will also do this with the Megasquirt kit, possibly offering a visually correct plug and play system for those desiring such a thing. By its very nature Megasquirt appeals mainly to serious tinkerers, while others are put off by the unoriginal look. I would offer a kit in various popular configurations that addresses these issues. My primary concern is looking original. I am keeping the dizzy and running a dummy MAP sensor for appearances sake.

Perhaps if there is enough interest in the Megasquirt I will develop it first.
Any interest out there?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaking View Post
Hi GGR: Let me just say that your coupe is pretty cool!
Thanks !

Apparently somebody already worked along the lines you are thinking about : http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...ml#post3913319

I also saw somewhere on the net someone who did a replacement kit for the trigger points on Porcshes. So you may do some more research on what exists out there before investing ttime and energy into something similar.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks GGR:
Sounds like more research is definitely in order.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Mega decision

This is good,
After I assemble the 4.5 motor for the 300SEL,
new bearings, rings, valve job and chain system and chain ears.
I may be wishing to convert to Megasquirt.

More details please ,
Should I keep cams stock or more low end torque or go for econo grind?
Will mega deliver better fuel economy?

This is to be a daily freeway and grocery flier.
these 4.5 SEL things suffer mileage at the stop and go routine,
Will not be run much over 70-80 max

Brian O
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
This is good,
After I assemble the 4.5 motor for the 300SEL,
new bearings, rings, valve job and chain system and chain ears.
I may be wishing to convert to Megasquirt.

More details please ,
Should I keep cams stock or more low end torque or go for econo grind?
Will mega deliver better fuel economy?

This is to be a daily freeway and grocery flier.
these 4.5 SEL things suffer mileage at the stop and go routine,
Will not be run much over 70-80 max
A well sorted megasquirt may help you save a bit of gas compared to the D-jet, mainly because your D-jet components are old by now and because Megasquirt allows you to tune the engine much more precisely.

But the stock US 4.5 engine is not the right one to start with if you're after fuel savings. The compression ratio is low, 8:1 or somethink like that, it is heavy and I'm not sure the cam grind is ideal as it was designed at the beginning of the smog regulations.

You should consider sourcing an early euro 500 engine. 100lb lighter and 9:1 CR. You would already have a better ignition and you could transfer the 4.5 intake manifold and D-jet hardware like I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in