Sub-Frame Issue *Help Please* - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Please post on the R107 forum. Many there have dealt with this. They can help you find where to apply preasure to get them to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
here we go , i think you are out of line , you cannot replace the subframe without replacing some part , a 35 yrs old car will have issues with worn mount .you dont just replace the subframe , you have to switch over all the suspension / sterring components from the old to the new one .a lot of those parts will fall apart when trying to do so .now , on the other hand , this is a well known issue , when i service a 107 , the first thing i do is to look at that spot that break .most of the time , you will see a crack that start , it will take some time before the failure you experienced .when the crack start , a $ 100 weld job will fix this issue .you could still find a frame / welding / muffler shop to fix this .it will be more difficult now .sorry , but that is what it is .usually a recall will cost you $ 1200 , ball joints , motor mounts [ if needed ] subframe mounts , upper lower control arms bushings ++++ ??? .
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Talk about the way back machine. I was the one that did the inspections and welding of the stiffener brackets providing the tab wasn't cracking. If it was then the frame had to be replaced. Another guy did that job as we had so many to inspect. The motor and sub frame mounts had to be removed anyway so there was no extra labor charge to replace them. The control arm mentioned may have been damaged like bent somehow when the frame failed and it wasn't noted until an alignment was attempted. You can't do this job without have the alignment performed as the entire suspension is removed. The owner of the car is exactly that, he owns the car so he also owns the problem, MB will replace the frame but all the other repairs should be done at the owners expense. Think of it as an unintended improvement as the car will drive better than he has ever felt it.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
Bill , when the crack just started , on cars without recall , or unwilling to paid some money for the recall , i used to fix them .they only crack at one spot at left lower control arm at rear ear .a piece of flat iron curbed to the shape of the flange , welded to the flange , and bolted to a existing hole and welded .that without disassembling anything .that would fix this problem for$ 100 .the 300d 115 had also that issue . you could have used the factory braces on cracked but not broken flange , just weld the crack and reinforce . back in the early 90 s , the mb dealer spent $ 12000 on a 450 sel 116 for a busted frame at steering box .they replaced the all front end frame on the car , [ worth about 5 k at that time ] people forget that frames and subframes are nothing but pieces welded together , so they can be repaired better then original .i guess MB is scared of lawyers .
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

I was the one who cleaned and inspected them at the dealer I worked for. I got the job because I was proficient with a mig welder. If they were cracked at all it got a new frame and if not I fit and welded the brackets into the sub frame and repainted it when done. I am amazed that MB is still willing to spend money on these old cars even when the owners don't have the same feelings about them. I remember when the 107 came out, I didn't like them as they seemed so plastic coming from the older high line cars. Prior to the recall I wouldn't have had much knowledge about issues with the sub frames as I ran a dyno then, they installed a hoist in my side stall and moved the 220 to that spot. The guy who did the frame replacements would run down to my area to check I wasn't going to weld a frame that he should be replacing, we worked flat rate in those days so it was always a contest of sorts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes Benz 250
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Was this the only series affected? Do us w114 owners need to be concerned? The weather is pretty bad right now, but the next clear day, I will get under and inspect all of my subframe.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I would imagine that all of the earlier sub frame cars have had issues with them to some degree but the 107 is the only one that was a recognized fault that needed a universal repair. To do an inspection you will likely need to do some clean up and be able to get under it far enough to look up into the tabs that the lower control arm pivot mounts to.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:52 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Gaudi's 72 250 View Post
Was this the only series affected? Do us w114 owners need to be concerned? The weather is pretty bad right now, but the next clear day, I will get under and inspect all of my subframe.

Although the lighter aluminum 380sl/SLC cars have had subframe failures, the iron v8 107s (450sl/SLC) designed on the w114/115 platform (of a lighter car with a 6 cylinder max) are the ones with an open "service campaign" (not technically a recall). The 86-89 subframes are fully boxed and updated to not have the issue. Apparently the gussets from MB are NLA, and some guys have made reproductions of the gussets. I currently have three 560sl subframes and one set of gussets I've collected for the four cars I have that should all get the correction, but are not covered under the North American service campaign (for several reasons):
- 1978 450slc 5.0
- 1981 280slc
- 1985 280sl
- 1972 250c

Switching a subframe is not easy. You can weld the gussets on while the subframe is in place but need to be careful not to cool the subframe bushings while welding.

I have not done the job myself.

I have read that cracked subframes should not be repaired, just replaced. They are cheap. Most of them go to the scrapyard with the carcass. Not the car I parted. I got a 86-89 subframe out of the 1972 350sl 4.5 I parted out (which was covered under the service campaign).

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

As for being a hard job, if your in a shop it really isn't all that bad. I probably did somewhere between 50 and 150 during my career. As for welding them up I did a lot and I mean a lot more. I lived in an area where it seemed every third car was a 107. The replacement frames were reinforced to the hilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in