2012 Grand Ascent at Hershey - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2012 Grand Ascent at Hershey

We all enjoy things automotive. But you've got to experience certain things in person. I've got some pictures of the Grand Ascent at Hershey where cars as old as 100 tear up the hill just as they were designed to do! You've got to put this show on your calendar for next June to see and hear these great cars!

What do you think of these cars? Check out the Bugatti Type 57 and Wayne Carini's Porsche! My favorite, however, was the 1912 Mercedes! ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD and not giving an inch to any of these youngsters!

Automotive Traveler Magazine: 2012 07 2012 Grand Ascent At Hershey Page 1
Hudsondog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
NorCalSL's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
Location: Northcoast of Ca in Eureka
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Awesome, thanks for sharing.
dws


1973 Mercedes 450SLC (PineGreen/MahoganyLeather)
1981 Mercedes 380SL FORSALE (LtIvory/PalominoMBTex)
1984 Mercedes 500SEC Euro (040Black/BlackLeather)
1992 Mercedes 300SL-24 Signal Red/Black Leather
NorCalSL is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's a great race and if you get the chance you need to attend. I'm putting together a review of concours event that followed the next day. Even more fantastic cars there.
Hudsondog is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes Benz SEC 560
Location: Bensalem PA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsondog View Post
We all enjoy things automotive. But you've got to experience certain things in person. I've got some pictures of the Grand Ascent at Hershey where cars as old as 100 tear up the hill just as they were designed to do! You've got to put this show on your calendar for next June to see and hear these great cars!

What do you think of these cars? Check out the Bugatti Type 57 and Wayne Carini's Porsche! My favorite, however, was the 1912 Mercedes! ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD and not giving an inch to any of these youngsters!

Automotive Traveler Magazine: 2012 07 2012 Grand Ascent At Hershey Page 1
I'll have to keep that in mind for next year, we go camping in that area!
travler628 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler628 View Post
I'll have to keep that in mind for next year, we go camping in that area!
I hope you and others find your way there next year. My favorite was the Mercedes...but you never know how much longer the owners will race a 100-year old car and there's nothing like hearing it roar up the hill. See while you can!
Hudsondog is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
OldWorldShepherds's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
Location: Central CT area
Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Hudsondog, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your additional feedback on the event. I have attached a link for folks that gives an overview.

To me, Hershey is the capital of collector car activities. When in Hershey be sure to stop in to the AACA museum located on route 32 and open year 'round. We are regular attendees of the annual AACA Fall Meet in October, still the largest swap meet/car corrall and one of the larger shows in the country. While the swap has a little bit of everything, it is still largely prewar American. the car corrall, on the other hand, has 900 cars each day, with a lineup changing daily. Many vintage MB there as well as other US and Euro cars of interest.

Have not been to the concours yet, but it is clearly catching fire with the added attraction of the hillclimb. On the "must do" list for sure.

The Elegance at Hershey The Elegance


1989 Mercedes 560 SL
1930 Ford A Roadster
1914 Ford T Speedster
OldWorldShepherds is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorldShepherds View Post
Hudsondog, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your additional feedback on the event. I have attached a link for folks that gives an overview.

To me, Hershey is the capital of collector car activities. When in Hershey be sure to stop in to the AACA museum located on route 32 and open year 'round. We are regular attendees of the annual AACA Fall Meet in October, still the largest swap meet/car corrall and one of the larger shows in the country. While the swap has a little bit of everything, it is still largely prewar American. the car corrall, on the other hand, has 900 cars each day, with a lineup changing daily. Many vintage MB there as well as other US and Euro cars of interest.

Have not been to the concours yet, but it is clearly catching fire with the added attraction of the hillclimb. On the "must do" list for sure.

The Elegance at Hershey The Elegance
The cars at the show just keep getting better. From brass-era Renaults to Classic-era Delages and Lincolns, there's just so much going on at this show.

As for the Hershey Fall Meet, it is one of my favorites. When I get the chance to go on Saturday of the show, I just can't see all of the fantastic cars on display. Usually, other things conspire against me and I end up going to Hershey on Friday...where the corral and swap meet are the attractions...and still makes for a very good day out!
Hudsondog is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
OldWorldShepherds's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
Location: Central CT area
Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Yep, it is tough to see it all in a day or even a couple. We usually go Wed - Friday, occasionally staying for the show Saturday. If you are parts hunting, Saturday is generally too late as many vendors button up and head out Saturday, or close to take in the show. A cool Friday attraction are the high wheelers, brass era speedsters and other vintage race cars in the arena at the far end of the Chocolate field. We were invited to the auction last year on Thursday night but did not go; as I travel with my dad and even though he is active it makes for a long day for a 74 year old.

Many changes since our first Hershey meet in '78..


1989 Mercedes 560 SL
1930 Ford A Roadster
1914 Ford T Speedster
OldWorldShepherds is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Nov 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I usually head to Carlisle the weekend before to get my fill of newer vehicles and literature (and the occasional odd part). But the cars are the attraction at Hershey. I wish the show were any weekend other than the one it is so that I could see the cars more often! Well worth the trip, thought.
Hudsondog is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes Benz SEC 560
Location: Bensalem PA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorldShepherds View Post
Yep, it is tough to see it all in a day or even a couple. We usually go Wed - Friday, occasionally staying for the show Saturday. If you are parts hunting, Saturday is generally too late as many vendors button up and head out Saturday, or close to take in the show. A cool Friday attraction are the high wheelers, brass era speedsters and other vintage race cars in the arena at the far end of the Chocolate field. We were invited to the auction last year on Thursday night but did not go; as I travel with my dad and even though he is active it makes for a long day for a 74 year old.

Many changes since our first Hershey meet in '78..
I hope to make it again this year to Hersey..so many cars to see..I want to get to the auction this time jus to see. It's hard to find Mercedes parts though..all depends to if my back holds out..hope to see you there!
travler628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome