post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 78 euro 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
78 300d light operation

Hi everyone I am a new MB owner and have a 1978 300D Euro spec? So I was operating my lights the other day and the amber "fog lights" were on and now I cannot turn them back on. Another thing the switch is kinda funny; I turn two clicks left and the driverside front marker comes on and P/s rear marker. One click to the right and the P/s marker comes on with D/s rear marker coming on. One click to the right is "off" one more to the right is low beam and one more past that is high beam or higher than normal. I can pull the knob out a bit and seems to have an all the way in, kinda out and fully out. What is the function of that pull out thing? Are my foggs supposed to turn on in this manner? I would read the operators book but its in German, takes to long to use google translator. Whats this I hear about rear fog lights? Am I equiped? Thanks for any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think you have it pretty much figured out. Far left position should be left, front and rear parking lights. The next position to the right should be right, front and rear parking lights. (In europe, it is often the law that you need to leave standing lights on, when parked along the side of the road. If parked on the right side, turn on the left lights to warn approaching vehicles that your car is there, and possibly sticking out in the travel lane. In the UK, since they park on the left, you would turn on the right side standing lights, second click from the left.) Center position of the switch should be off for everything. First click to the right should be parking lights on all around. Second position to the right should be headlights. High beam is found by using the turn signal lever, pushing toward the front. Fog lights, turned on with switch in headlight (far right position) by pulling out the switch one notch. Rear fog light, if equipped, by pulling out switch two notches, when headlights are on. This should be how it works. It is possible that some of this may have been modified by others that have owned your car. Hope this helps! Let us know.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Awesome ive been searching for a light switch breakdown forever. Well I knew the lights worked because I had seen them with my own eyes, tried the combo for the fog lights and no dice. I proceded to the fuse relay just for chits and giggles and noticed a burnt piece of black plastic, then looked at the opposite side of the relay case and saw #5 foglight, I removed the piece of melted black plastic from the # 5 relay, It appears that the copper contact has melted into the main body of the relay this is obviously bad and should be equally a pain in the bum. Is that relay a pain? Cheap? Should I just deal with no foglights? I would prefer to have them and keep the car as nice as possible. Boy she is a nice car too 122k Perfect pistachio green paint and 2 minor dings in the whole body. What to do What to do...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, if you have melted copper and plastic things in the fuse box, that would explain the strange operation of your lights. Current could be back-feeding across the problem areas. So, I would see if you can find a good, used fuse block from a salvage yard. Try and clean up the melted stuff from yours, first. Put in some new fuses, of the proper sizes. This may fix your lights. If not, probably need that new fuse block and relays.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
the salvage yards dont have much as far as 1978 300d's are concerned I think they may still have an 85 300d but that thing was cleaned out last I saw. Are these fuse blocks a pain? I guess I could answer that question by removing the one from that 85 and seeing if its a feasable solution. Like I said earlier If its quick and easy id do it, if its far to costly time/money it may hve to wait till a sunnier day/month.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Getting the fuse box out is a bit difficult because of amount of stiff wires, but that is all. Use tie-raps to tie wires together so you know to which fuse they belong.

Some Euro models didn't allow fog lights to be operated in combination with low or high beams, only with parking lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in