post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1968 220D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Throttle Linkage Adjustment Problems in 1968 220D W115

I have been struggling to get an answer to the following question elsewhere, so hopefully someone here can help. I have some shifting problems in my 1968 220D, w115, auto transmission, left hand drive car. I believe it may relate to the linkages that connect the accelerator pedal to the transmission. The MB FSM indicates there is a special adjusting gauge/tool required to correctly adjust the lengths of all the linkages (see attached files). I don't have this tool and apparently it costs US$200. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives. Anyway, I would like to adjust the linkages on the manifold side of the engine that connect to the transmission, but have no idea how to do this correctly without buying the correct tool. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjusting Gauge Pic.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	454211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauge Usage.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	454212  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dod not have your model, but a 1976 300D, and I had shifting problems and low acceleration . There is a shaft with two adjustable nuts and threads running down to your throttle cable, I noticed when I put the accelerator down, I did not get any movement of the throttle linkages for 3/4 of an inch, so I tightened the shaft using the shaft, loosened the nut, and wound the ball clamp down about , well almost a half inch, man the transmission starting shifting normal and the car accelerated so much better.

I think it is that vertical shaft just to the right of your aircleaner intake, try that, and have someone move your throttle whilst your watching the linkage to see if you need to do all this.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: