Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

fuel tank strainer? 64 190c

885 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  64merc190c 
#1 · (Edited)
How can I remove the fuel tank strainer to clean it out. I'm having some issues. The car starts and runs fine but after awhile it wants to stall when giving it gas. I'm assuming the strainer is clogged. The car sat for a year. Everything else is great. New fuel filter, new belts new flywheel. Does anyone know how to get to the strainer?

64 190c
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
You first need to get the tank as empty as possible by removing the outlet hose and letting it drain. There is a recessed hex plug (I think 22mm) on the bottom of the tank near the front that removes the strainer.

I bought a short piece of hex stock online (check ebay) or some folks have gotten a short 22mm bolt with two clinched nuts (or one welded nut) and used a socket or wrench. You may be able to find a 22mm hex socket.

It may take some force to break it loose. Have something available to catch the remaining gas. You may want to replace the special little outlet hose that has two different end sizes and perhaps the copper sealing washer on the strainer while you are at it.

#3 ·
Thank you. I'm going to try and tackle it this weekend. My problem is finding the replacement parts, such as the washer or new lines. So the nut holding the screw plug is a 22 mm? Is there a larger nut that is the same diameter as the screw plug(strainer) some where about 2"??? I just watched a video on you tube about it. Anyhow I really appreciate the feed back. I'm gonna give it a try.

thanks
'64 190c

#4 ·
No, there is no larger nut. Just the recessed 22mm hex cavity. Your car could be different than my '66 230, but I doubt it. My '70 280 and even my '81 300TD have the same plug. I went out and mic'd the tool I have. It's definitely 22mm.

The copper washer is probably OK to reuse. The hose, if in good shape, can be reused also. When I got my fintail, someone had done a workaround by using regular hoses with a reducing fitting. I think I found the right hose online somewhere, but the Classic Center is sure to have it (and the washer).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.