post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1966 250S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w108 Torsion/Sway Bar Bushings Source?

Has anyone replaced the bushings on their w108 torsion (aka sway) bar? I can't find any listings for repair kits specific to the body type, but I'm guessing these can be adequately sourced from an aftermarket supplier like Energy Suspension. The bushings that attach the bar to the frame on my 250s actually look OK, but the stack of round bushings connecting to the control arms are squished, rotted and in need of replacement. Unfortunately I don't know what sizes/configurations are needed, and the bushings on my car are too distorted to provide any real guidance.

Anyone gone through this before and/or have any guidance?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can get them from the dealer or the Classic Center.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks wbain. I'll give the Classic Center a call. Not sure why I didn't think to try that.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
On second thought, for $175 I guess I'd rather hand carve the bushings myself. We are talking about a couple of pieces of rubber, a metal tube and maybe a washer, right?

If anyone has gone the cheaper route and sourced the pieces from an aftermarket manufacturer, I'd really appreciate any guidance on sizes or configurations. I know these cars can be expensive to maintain, but mine still has bigger issues that kind of money needs to go towards right now. Sway bar bushings should be coming in somewhere around 1/4 to 1/5 of the price the Classic Center is quoting.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2010
sway bar link kit

Hello Elwood911.

Most here won't want to hear this, but I had the same problem 15 years ago with my 280SE. One bolt rusted and broke. Went to Canadian Tire and bought a sway bar link kit for an early 80's Chev;Camaro, I think. Looked identical, fit great, had the long bolts ,washers, bushings. $12.00 and still there.

I had no money then for dealer prices (still don't)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses, folks. I did some more research, took some measurements and it looks like the closest universal fit parts from Energy Suspension are as follows:

End link set:
9.8117G (for black)
9.8117R (for red)

I decided to go nuts and try the greasable bushings (which did not fit and have been removed from this post... see follow up below). Just purchased both bushings and end links from my local Autozone (because its closer than O'Reilly or Advanced, which also carry these) for $20 each. I'll report back on fit and function once I've had a chance to install everything. To be fair, my car rolls like crazy thanks to the deteriorated rubber that's in there now, so I expect to see an improvement even if the parts are substandard.

I'm only sharing this info in case anyone else is in a similar spot trying to source these parts without breaking the bank. In general I prefer buying OEM or direct replacement aftermarket parts, but in some rare cases like this I have difficulty justifying the expense. For those of you who don't, more power to you.

Last edited by Elwood911; 06-01-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Several parts referenced did not fit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2003 230 Kompressor, 1970 280SL, 1991 300SL, 1970 SEL Limo
Awesome! Please keep us in the loop. (I need to do the same job on my W108 as well).

Michael
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good News and Bad News

I'm back from the garage and can report partial success working with the parts I mentioned above.

To start with the bushing sets (for mounting the torsion bar to the frame) did not work out. Essentially the only dimension not provided in the manufacturer's catalog was the size of the holes used for bolting the brackets on, and of course they turned out to be too small for the bolts mounted on the frame. The holes could probably be drilled to a larger size, but at the point when you are modifying universal fit parts, it's probably time for a reality check. The Energy Suspension bushings also can't be mounted in the stock brackets because they are a little too narrow. Luckily for me these bushings were not actually in need of replacement on my car... I was just thinking I might replace all of the torsion bar rubber at once. I've removed the part number references in my original post above to avoid leading anyone astray on this point. These bushings don't fit, and as far as I can tell Energy Suspension doesn't make any that will.

Now for the good news. The torsion bar end link sets appear to be totally serviceable, and at $20 dollars sourced locally compared to around $175 ordered from the Classic Center/Dealership, I am a BIG fan. After mounting them in place of the worn out end links that were on my car, the handling is vastly improved. I know people often tend to over-inflate the benefit of whatever repair job they just did, but for me this is a minor game changer in the tightness of the car's steering. If your end links aren't shot, you may not see a vast improvement, but I did. The roll when cornering is very noticeably reduced, to the extent that cornering at speed - particularly when passing a slower car - feels a lot less dodgy. The new end links also removed a substantial amount of clank from the front end when hitting potholes and minor bumps, which is a welcome improvement that I was not expecting.

After removing the old parts so I could do a side-by-side inspection, I see that I probably could have ordered the next step up in length, as the old sleeve is very slightly longer and the old bushings are very slightly thicker. 9.8118R/9.8118G have a sleeve that's 1/4" longer, which should make up the difference. I'm happy with the 9.8117R set that I've got because I didn't think the torsion bar's end eyelet and control arm looked quite parallel with stock parts and the shorter set helped correct for that, but I thought I would mention it as an FYI. Other observations are that the new polyurethane bushings are narrower in diameter than the original rubber, but they are also a LOT firmer and have a nipple to help keep them centered in the eyelets. Finally the bolts used for the new end link sets are thicker, which is a welcome upgrade considering that both of the stock end links that I removed were bent.

Here is what I was replacing:

Here is the finished product:

As you can see the new poly is smaller in diameter than the old rubber (which in this case is compressed and collapsed, making the difference seem more extreme). The poly bushings are much firmer than the rubber, which appears likely to make up for the difference in size, since they can be torqued on there more forcefully without collapsing:

Here is another shot of what I was replacing. Both original end links were bent like this and actually had to be hammered out of their sleeves to be removed (which is why this isn't a side-by-side comparison of the two assembled pieces). Note that the Energy Suspension end links have beefier bolts and sleeves, which should help avoid this problem in the future:

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in