Found a W108 rusting away in a vintage car dealership. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Found a W108 rusting away in a vintage car dealership.

Hey guys. Im totally in love with the W108 chassis. I found this poor old beast sitting in a car dealership just rusting away. Im thinking it would be fun to tool around in it for a while, not really a base for restoring. Checked under the rear of the trunk and there is some rust. I didnt check under the passenger compartment. The interior is actually in really decent shape for what it is. The car runs. We opened the oil cap to see what the cams looked like. Didnt look too bad but it smelled like gas. The car starts up, but I didnt drive it since I didnt know if the oil was good or not. How much does a car like this go for?

Check link below for pics:

W108 4.5

Let me know if there are more pictures I can take that can better help determine the value of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
this is a parts car ($150).
not for much more except if you wish to drive it.

Most of the time there is so much neglected maintenance on a car sitting, that the resurrection cost is prohibitive.

Brian O
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
(Thread Starter)
Well I was thinking it would be a cool project. Not really a restoration but just kind of a rat rod type thing. The car dealer wants 3900 for it though, oh well.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
3900 is a pretty hefty price for this thing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: W126 - others
3900$?

Way to high, 2000€ I could imagine in Europe, for the parts. But thats it.

The bodywork is a wreckage. - To save something like this there is no way around a full reconstruction. Dont know the US Market but I dont think it pays.
For 4k$ there should be better cars avaible.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2010
beware the money sucker

The replies are correct, $3900.00 for that car is way too much. It will make you poor before it is road worthy, will shock you with its appetite for petroleum products and will never be valuable. Don't know where the car is, but I am from Nova Scotia, and compared to what we see, that rust is not too bad. A car is done here when the suspension rips off the frame.

17 years ago I was optimistic and thought I could get a rusty $400.00 280 SE back on the road. I have had ten or so Benzes since, many 20+ years newer. They come and go, but I still have the 280 SE, drove it to work this morning.

If you want the torture/fun, pay what you are willing to lose, prepare to scrounge the internet for parts and get really greasy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has it been driven regularly? Any records? I don't see the rust as being as bad as others believe, where did the car spend it's life? If that's the extent of rust and it won't progress in your climate, have it checked solidly, be sure it's been driver regularly and throw in a bid at half that or less and let the dealer know to call you if he's ever willing to accept that price. For a rat rod, what other class of cool can you get for $2g or so? I guess that's why I'm more on board with you, assuming it doesn't need massive mechanical overhaul which will make it a nightmare, hence the regular-driven clause.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: W126 - others
Quote:
I don't see the rust as being as bad as others believe
The pictures might make that impression. - In my experience, if the corrosion is so obvious on the outside, its a lot worse on the inside.

Whats clear on the pictures

-The Sills are just finished, take a rubber hammer and a dustpan you wont have to screw anything off

-Underfloor and floor panels are heavy corroded.

-Rear wheel Arches are still covered with paint but thats it.

-Fenders on the front are inrepairable, an exchange is easier.

Whats not clear
- Rear Window Frame ok?
- Doors? If the sills look like this the lower edges of the door mostly look worse. Also lot of welding or exchange.

To fix all these Zones its inevitable to strip the whole car, after that a complete paintshop... and thats just for the chassis. Nothing done on tranny, engine, suspension, axels... and there is a lot to do for sure.

Sure, if its legit you migth get it runnin somehow, but who wants to drive a trashcan in such a pathetic condition? Taking it apart an saving the precious parts is the best thing man can do if a full restoration is no option.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: W116 450 SEL 1979 W111 220S 1962
I agree with DirectLA. Its good and you can offer the dealer $2600 for it. There's no hard and fast rule to satisfy your hobby. 1st get it in usable running condition brakes; engine. Then if ur pocket doesnt allow you can postpone the face lift denting painting and for a while use it in bad shape.... doesnt matter

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: W116 450 SEL 1979 W111 220S 1962
Maybe people beside me and Direct LA are very rich perfectionist

Like u say that ur Im totally in love with the W108 chassis..... Myself am so in love with W111 fintail and bought a car in worse condition than ur pics. For 8 years I used it without any dent paint just kept it in running condition diff oil engine gear brakes.

These beast made of yesteryears steel do no rust beyond repair. Now I have saved enough money for decent restoration and have given it for dent paint. Go for it fullfill ur w108 love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in