Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
M130 engine - how to get more power?

Hi have a 1971 250C with the M130, dual carb (not weber), automatic. Everything is stock. I think it's something like 140 HP. Is there something I can do (or something I can block or disconnect) that will increase the HP and/or economy of this car? I read that the 2.8 engine was used in the 250 coupe because of power sucking smog features in the US...

Not interested in a megasquirt conversion unless I can buy a cut and have it be plug and play.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hiya there Scoot,

Is everything on the car working? Ignition and carbs perfect? Not sure if you mean you intend to increase power through modification, or if the car is just sluggish for some other reason in general.

Blown secondary diaphragms are common, that will definitely slow things down. The 2.8L should feel somewhat "peppy" off the line and have a strong midrange. '71 still had the higher compression engine.

Fuel economy: I think the best possible is maybe 18 MPG around town, assuming summer weather, perfect tune (synchronization, mixture screws tuned by idle-drop method and CO%), alignment, tires, choice of lubricants, etc. In a warm climate you can get away with adjusting the chokes quite a bit leaner than the book spec.

The emissions equipment on your car is essentially the distributor vacuum box and the dashpot on the rear carburetor, controlled via the SOV's and relay box in the right front inner fender area under the hood. I recommend you leave these intact - they don't affect performance in the slightest. The vacuum retard cuts hydrocarbons (and associated exhaust reek) down at idle, and is instantly dropped upon acceleration. The RPM relay will also crack the throttle plates open a hair on decel via the dashpot, reducing emissions and the amount of fumes you breathe in immediately after coming to a stop. In fact, I would check to make sure this equipment is working correctly, as it makes driving the car a less offensive experience (IMHO, anyway).

ASSuming everything else is working the way it should, valves should be adjusted stone cold on the tight side, and the valve timing should be checked, it's likely a few degrees or more retarded. These two things alone can have quite a dramatic effect on off the line snap and midrange. It also improves fuel economy as your foot isn't into the pedal as much.

Last edited by Leone; 05-25-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: