Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1967 W108 250s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Last week my work truck radiator went out so I was taken away from the W108. I Made the repairs, and so this week each night after work, I gave an hour or so to dismantling the Left side Brakes and pulled the Axle. This side was a bugger. The Rotor was stuck to the hub pretty good. Took some of My Garage Magic to get the damn thing off. It finally gave in and came off to expose the parking brake. This side was in much butter shape than the other. I will be replacing all the seals and the bearing regardless, as to mirror the repair on the Right side. The Axle did not want to come out, the bearing was holding it in pretty good. First I tried yanking on it and had no results. I tried using a cheap slide hammer but that was a joke. Finally I took the rotor and attached it to the hub reversed with a few long lug bolts. Threading the lugs in long enough not to risk stripping anything, but loose enough to give some play. Creating a slide hammer with enough inertia for success. One good tug and the task was complete. Next I'll strip the axle down and remove all the seals.
With my repairs to the other vehicle I'll have to wait a week or two before I can readily afford the parts needed for assembly. So it looks like next week will be a good time to clean the shop, and polish her chrome.