W108 4.5 leaking stearing box - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W108 4.5 leaking stearing box

I searched the forum with no help, but i'm sure this is here some place. My '72 280SEL has developed a steadily worsening stearing box leak.

Anyone have a procedure for replacing seals or is it obvious and can you drop the box without removing exhaust? My Benz 108 manual has photos of removing this, but it is not a V8 so lots of room in their photos. Not so much in mine.

The steering has little or no play. I replaced all tie rod ends 18months ago, but the car sat for 12 years prior to my purchase and I have been fighting seals for the past 6 months (pwr steering pump, transmission front seal, oil cooler hoses, and now the stearing box).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 1967 250 S steering box has also started an increasing leak. I purchased a seal kit and plan to do the job soon. What was your remedy?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
(Thread Starter)
Purchased the rebuild kit. I actually rebuilt it a week ago and have not had a chance to test it due to thanksgiving.

While I was at it, I replaced the subframe and engine mounts as well as the exhaust header and down tube gaskets. Hope to fire her up this afternoon and see what I get.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did you remove the steering box to do the rebuild? On my SL, when I removed the steering box to replace the steering coupling (you might want to check the health of yours before reassembling), there was a warning in the service manual that the bolts holding it to the frame MUST be replaced.

Evidently there are 'teeth' on the head to prevent backing off that require putting in new bolts if they are removed. A dealer only item, though, to get the proper length, grade, and head for the bolts. I seem to remember that the three of them for my project cost around $26.00.

Scott

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
it depend where the box leaks , if you are lucky , it is at the lower cover , you do it in the car , the only hard thing is to remove the pittman arm without the mb puller , it is tight .i dont replace the bolts , only on the 115 cars , they do break .so , see where the leak is
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I pulled the box. On the W108 with the 4.5, there is not much room to do anything. It would appear that the box had never been rebuilt. The seals and O-rings all came out in pieces. No flexibility left at all. Took about 3 hours to disassemble and reassemble the box.

I replaced the coupling as well since it was lacking its bushings. The bolts on mine were in good shape. I followed my manual for torquing them back up. I know the W108s are prone to cracking the frame at the steering box but mine all looks good.

Now if I could find anything definitive on how the new shocks go back I'd be in great shape. Bushings are different than what came out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
For future reference, I'll answer my own original question. It is possible to pull the steering box on a W108 4.5 without pulling the exhaust. I drained the pump, disconnected the hoses from the pump but left them attached to the box, pulled the Pittman arm, disconnected the coupling and then unbolted. Takes a bit of coaxing, but the box will come out by allowing the rear of the box to drop down...you essentially rotate the box out of the car.

I replaced subframe bushings, engine mounts and shocks. I also went ahead (after pulling the box) and pulled the exhaust to re-gasket the exhaust header and the down-pipes. I'm glad to say that the car drives much better and is much quieter. She also sits like she is supposed to.. tall and proud instead of sagging.

Having the steering box removed made the rest much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in