post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2 W123 300D's and 3 W124 wagons
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Two W108's parting out

Note: for those who arrive late, the parts are up for auction, each part is being auctioned for one week, the auction-ends begin April 26 2012 and as of this writing (April 22) I am still taking parts out of the pile and posting them. Parts listings begin at Post #18, page two.

(Original message
They are in a mom-and-pop metal salvage operation, near Chehalis, Washington, a 280S and a 280SE. Both are white. All exterior chrome is immaculate on the 280S and some chrome is good on the 280SE. The 280S has Thermo King air conditioning and the dashboard is complete including steering wheel which is black. Grille on the 280S looks almost new, not a dent on it, just one horizontal trim piece is bowed out a little, and the hood star is present. No carpeting or door panels on either, but the 280S has a nice set of dark red (maroon or burgundy, I do not know W108 colors, as I am a W123 owner) seats. Carpeting and inside door panels are missing from both. Both have electric windows. Engines and transmissions (both are automatics) are present, looks like nobody has picked from them. The 280S looks like it could be driven away.

They are scheduled to be crushed Monday afternoon.

So if anyone has requests, post them today and, though I am a W123 not W108 guy, I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '85 190D; '66 250SE; '87 M6; '06 X3;01 E46
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Parts needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
They are in a mom-and-pop strip lot, actually a metal salvage operation, near Chehalis, Washington, a 280S and a 280SE. Both are white. All exterior chrome is immaculate on the 280S and some chrome is good on the 280SE. The 280S has Thermo King air conditioning and the dashboard is complete including steering wheel which is black. Grille on the 280S looks almost new, not a dent on it, just one horizontal trim piece is bowed out a little, and the hood star is present. No carpeting or door panels on either, but the 280S has a nice set of dark red (maroon or burgundy, I do not know W108 colors, as I am a W123 owner) seats. Both have electric windows. Engines and transmissions (both are automatics) are present, looks like nobody has picked from them. The 280S looks like it could be driven away.

They are scheduled to be crushed Monday afternoon.

So if anyone has requests, post them today and, though I am a W123 not W108 guy, I'll see what I can do.

Hi there,
I drive a 1966 250se which is in need of the cold start valve, and the injection pump thermostat element housing. This housing is located on top of the injection pump, and has two coolant hoses connected to it. The cold start valve is located on the venturi, and has a solenoid in top of it. I'll try to snap a couple of pictures with these parts......
Thank you in advance,
Jean

All rigthy, here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0981.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	438164   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0982.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	438165  

Last edited by jeanro_44107; 04-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I will send my cellphone number to Jean and to those who respond by PM or email, so you can call me while I'm pulling.

There won't be time to pull a camshaft or anything serious like that; only by pleading did I persuade them to wait even til Monday afternoon to crush them.

I don't have a camera phone, so, sorry, no pics. The battery on my phone is low, so best call between 8 AM and noon if you want me to look for/at something, and please keep the phone call short --or just leave me your number and I can call with it plugged into my car charger.

I have a good set of backyard mechanic tools, am able to pull injectors and the carburetors, but if it requires finesse, you'll have to give me detailed instructions.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-15-2012 at 05:05 PM.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Any update?
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes. Good news and bad news. First the bad news: I had time today only to pull exterior and cabin parts. Good news though is, the cars get a one-day stay of execution; I will go to work in the engine compartments tomorrow.

I did not look closely at the 280SE's fuel injection pump. It looks awfully corroded and grimy. I'll bring some Gunk Engine Cleaner with me tomorrow; maybe it will look better once the grime is off it, maybe not. We'll see. The two parts you want, are there.

If anyone needs taillights, taillight lenses, taillight surround chrome, or rear side marker lamps (from the '69 280S) or reflectors (from the 280SE, which I believe is earlier; its mfr. plate is not on the B pillar, like the S's, rather is forward of the driver door and does not carry a manufacture date), I got 'em.

Got three headlight surrounds, chrome is beautiful on 'em, but only one is not dented or bent (edited: a clumsy forklift operator twisted two of them, after I'd taken them off). But they're not bad. Headlights unfortunately are all sealed-beam. None of the diamond plastic inserts on the headlight surrounds is perfect, but they're serviceable. All the diamonds are clear, not amber.

I also pulled two beautiful sets of chrome license plate lamps and a complete harness, the one which goes from the under-driver's-side dash along the left floor edge and through the hole in the trunk and feeds the rear lights and the fuel tank sender unit.

Also got two front cabin headliner lamps (one is spoken for) and a pair of steering wheel horn covers. Neither horn cover is flawless, but one has a very nice tri-star.

Also got a glove box (not the door, the actual box). It's not bad.

Took three door inside latch handles. Chrome is specky on them, but not bubbly, and they are not broken, their action is nice and tight.

Pulled the red seats from the 280S, but they are tentatively spoken for. Also its red B pillar covers. The red tops to the door panels were in the trunk.

Further requests are invited. The heater blower motors are still on both cars.

Also pulled a rear bumper right overrider from the 280S. Bumpers on these cars are in really nice condition, except the remaining right rear overrider (on the 280SE) is slightly deformed, looks like the owner backed at 1 MPH into a tree with it.

All the side trim molding strips are present and good. If you want one, speak.

Also pulled the grille from the 280S of course. It's a stunner. I have a request for just the hood star, but I really hate to break this grille up. I'll post pictures of it later tonight.

Philip

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Hurray for the good news. As for the bad news, waiting till tomorrow is not a problem. I'm sure you put a lot of effort into saving those parts. Now, if you have a couple of pictures with the taillights and chrome surroundings, that will be great. One of my car's taillight lens is a little cracked, and I might be interested on a set. How are the front driver and passenger door gaskets( the ones that are wrapped on felt?) Are the radios gone? Outside mirror glass? Good thing we have till tomorrow!!!
Jean
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
One has a radio in it but it is not original. Outside mirrors are spoken for. I'll check the door gaskets today. The taillights are moss-encrusted but the lenses are uncracked and the chrome, what I can see under the moss, looks great. All other exterior chrome on them is 95% of flawless --it's a crying shame these bumpers are going to die-- --a *damn* shame nobody wants the electric window mechanisms either, there's no wear on the gears at all --so I don't see why the taillight surrounds shouldn't be flawless too. Taillight gaskets are rotten but did come off in one piece. Two of the taillights are already spoken for. I'll clean the moss off and post pictures this evening. Leaving for the yard now.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
One has a radio in it but it is not original. Outside mirrors are spoken for. I'll check the door gaskets today. The taillights are moss-encrusted but the lenses are uncracked and the chrome, what I can see under the moss, looks great. All other exterior chrome on them is 95% of flawless --it's a crying shame these bumpers are going to die-- --a *damn* shame nobody wants the electric window mechanisms either, there's no wear on the gears at all --so I don't see why the taillight surrounds shouldn't be flawless too. Taillight gaskets are rotten but did come off in one piece. Two of the taillights are already spoken for. I'll clean the moss off and post pictures this evening. Leaving for the yard now.
Please take everything can be taken. Sooner or later somebody is going to need the stuff. It is so fortunate that it happened to be there to save some of the parts from the crusher. Maybe you can plead for another day or two if is not too late already. Anyway, thank you for what you are doing, and post pictures with the "goodies"
Jean
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Door gaskets were no good. Got your two parts. The one on the left side, the cylindrical "cap" is pretty rusty though. I'll take daylight pictures on Thursday and start posting them here. I must say, the lowest of the three 5 mm Allen bolts on that thing on the manifold was difficult. You are lucky that I happened to have with me, an Allen key with a short leg-of-the-L about one cm longer than a standard one. A standard one could not go in deep enough to get purchase on it, and the long-side-of-the-L is too long, it is interfered with by the fender top inside edge.

It turned out, there was indeed a Blaupunkt radio in the trunk of the 280SE. I don't know if it's the original or not. It was hidden under a pile of seat belts. Glass face is cracked in several places though. The missing knob isn't really missing, it just fell into the pile of other parts, headrest-high, in my car and I have now retrieved it. Here's a picture of it:

http://i42.tinypic.com/anf1hs.jpg

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Here's the grille. There is the beginning of flash rust on it; a picture taken at night with flash makes it look just awful, and it has a lot of "salt weathering" on the grey lattice. But in normal sunlight, to the casual eye, it looks nearly new:

http://i40.tinypic.com/fadg5u.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/xf48du.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/an1ow8.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in