post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
76 280 Low oil pressure when idling

Hello,
Can anyone shoot some advice my way on this most recent issue? About a month back my car started showing signs of Temp rising while sitting at lights or drive thru's. The gauge will go almost to the 3rd line (next line being HOT)... Once I accelerate, the temp goes back to normal..Immediately!!!

Now, while I am sitting at lights it seems like I am idling very rough, almost as if she wants to stall,,,but she hasn't ...YET. during this my oil gauge will read near 15 which is low...As soon as I accelerate or if I put the car in neutral, the gauge reads pretty much full pressure 45...

any ideas on what this could be? I was running low on oil and put a 5-30 weight oil..From what I have been reading, these cars need a 20-50 for this Cali weather..any suggestions are appreciated...

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Low idle speed and overheating, sounds like two different issues. Is your idle set fast enough. too slow of idle speed can cause stalling and low oil pressure. If not that, maybe tune up parts(plugs,cap,rotor ,wires,points etc). check for low coolant also.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmripper View Post
Low idle speed and overheating, sounds like two different issues. Is your idle set fast enough. too slow of idle speed can cause stalling and low oil pressure. If not that, maybe tune up parts(plugs,cap,rotor ,wires,points etc). check for low coolant also.
I agree with ktmripper on the low idle speed/near stalling being the cause of the low oil gauge.

The overheating problem could be the signs of a failing water pump, or low coolant as he suggested. Take the cap off the radiator while the car is running, if fluid runs out or isn't moving chances are the water pump is bad... don't do it when the fluid is hot...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
First, remove the thermostat and test and replace.
They do not last forever and the response lags when compared to new.

Flush and clean the coolant.

When idling and the temp rises,
turn the heater levers on and if the temp drops,
it may be the radiator.

Brian O
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The oil pressure, when hot, will drop to 15 psi, or '1', and is normal. Once you accelerate, it will go back up to 45, or '3' on some models.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1975 Mercedes Brenz 450 SL with 58,000 miles
I have the same problem with my '75 450SL. When I stop for a red light, it drops really
low, 5-10 and I made sure my husband put 7.5 qt. In it, found the book and books says
put in 10w40,I questioned that, as the book is 37 yrs old an things change.
Also while I here,I can't get the heat work and again using the owners manual for direction, plus is it possible to wire the AC to run all the time. I 'm afraid to mess with
because it does work, I just hate running the AC with the top down. Does anyone have any idea that could help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
(Thread Starter)
Thanks..
I think my radiator was bone dry. I filled it up with water and believe the temp is doing better. My idle is very rough. Sounds and feels like she wants to stall. Once I take off from sitting at a light it smells like exhaust in the cab of my car. The smell dissipates until I sit for another light..smells like I'm running super rich..no mechanic here. Just trying to get logical ideas. Thanks again
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If it was dry there must be a leak, check the lines where they connect and the length of the hoses to locate the source.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in