Need advise on a purchase of a 1967 250 SE - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
fss242's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1982 Mercedes 300 D
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need advise on a purchase of a 1967 250 SE

Hello,

Newby to both the forum and the world of Mercedes here. So, any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I'm currently in Afghanistan and the vehicle is in CA so I'll be unable to look at it.

It's a one-owner car has 85k original miles with documented service/maintenance records. It's a 4-speed automatic. From the pics everything looks great. The owner is asking 9k OBO.

Is this a good purchase for someone who's not very familiar with Mercedes in general? Also, what do you think would be the best price for a vehicle like this?

Thanks in advance
fss242 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DirectLA's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Location: Cloud City, OR
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Coupe or sedan? That makes a world of difference in values. Also, I would strongly suggest you locate an agent who knows these cars well to check the car out for you before you buy, on a sedan any unseen issues will make it virtually valueless by the time you invest in repairs, on a coupe, many parts are almost impossible to find today while others such as trim pieces are unique to the car and very costly if missing or damaged. You may be able to find a member located near the car if you are comfortable posting it's general locale. Become friendly with folks here, find a MB expert independent shop to perform any repairs you can't handle, and get acquainted with the Classic Center in Irvine, they have most parts for this car if you can't locate them elsewhere.

Low mileage can be good or bad, depends on how often it was run. I put $4-5k just in basic work when I bought my coupe and it still needs full seat leather, carpets, paint, tires, injectors cleaned, etc. Having said all that, this car will be the best thing you ever spent money on if you buy it right, they are an absolute blast to own and drive. Consider any investment as compared to a modern car, but on these when you buy a new starter it will last another 20-50 years, and so on, so the money may seem steep, but you will have a car that you will never need to replace during your lifetime, which is actually much cheaper than buying a new car every few years. There's another service member on here just coming home, I'm sure he'll have some advice too!
Keep us posted and good luck my friend.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook


"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
DirectLA is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
fss242's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1982 Mercedes 300 D
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
Coupe or sedan? That makes a world of difference in values. Also, I would strongly suggest you locate an agent who knows these cars well to check the car out for you before you buy, on a sedan any unseen issues will make it virtually valueless by the time you invest in repairs, on a coupe, many parts are almost impossible to find today while others such as trim pieces are unique to the car and very costly if missing or damaged. You may be able to find a member located near the car if you are comfortable posting it's general locale. Become friendly with folks here, find a MB expert independent shop to perform any repairs you can't handle, and get acquainted with the Classic Center in Irvine, they have most parts for this car if you can't locate them elsewhere.

Low mileage can be good or bad, depends on how often it was run. I put $4-5k just in basic work when I bought my coupe and it still needs full seat leather, carpets, paint, tires, injectors cleaned, etc. Having said all that, this car will be the best thing you ever spent money on if you buy it right, they are an absolute blast to own and drive. Consider any investment as compared to a modern car, but on these when you buy a new starter it will last another 20-50 years, and so on, so the money may seem steep, but you will have a car that you will never need to replace during your lifetime, which is actually much cheaper than buying a new car every few years. There's another service member on here just coming home, I'm sure he'll have some advice too!
Keep us posted and good luck my friend.
Thank you so much for your input. If I were in the States, I'd have gone out of my way to find a local shop to inspect the vehicle and even flown to the location myself to make certain I'm making a solid purchase.

To answer your question it's a 4-door sedan and it's located in Coronado, California.
fss242 is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
ktmripper's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9k is kinda high unless it is near perfect. I have that same car in very nice condition and I don't think it's worth near that. Hard to tell from photos. Make sure you compare this one with a few others of the same caliber.
ktmripper is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1968 250SL; 1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet (EURO Version); 1987 560SL
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please let us know what the intended use is for? Daily driver, Sunday driver, etc. While I love vintage Mercedes (obvious from my profile), this engine is not that economical and requires premium fuel. Plus, the parts are very expensive!

If it turns out this car has always been maintained by a reputable Mercedes shop and they're familiar with vintage equipment, this is good! Plus, it is just going to be for someone's enjoyment, without a lot of daily use...then it makes sense because you could keep up with it easier.

Remember, everyone thousand you save up front can cost you several thousand more in repair, maintenance and cosmetic costs. It's always better to get the best you can (and of course at a fair and reasonable price!).

All the best to you and thanks for serving our country!!!

Last edited by JPMose; 03-07-2012 at 08:50 AM.
JPMose is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Scoot's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Location: Los Angeles / Altadena
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fss242 View Post
Hello,

Newby to both the forum and the world of Mercedes here. So, any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since I'm currently in Afghanistan and the vehicle is in CA so I'll be unable to look at it.

It's a one-owner car has 85k original miles with documented service/maintenance records. It's a 4-speed automatic. From the pics everything looks great. The owner is asking 9k OBO.

Is this a good purchase for someone who's not very familiar with Mercedes in general? Also, what do you think would be the best price for a vehicle like this?

Thanks in advance
Don't buy an old Mercedes without paying someone to check it out for you. Pictures don't tell the whole story. $9000 is a lot for a car that no one has looked at.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Scoot is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Location: San Diego/Spring Valley
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings, I am near Coronado and this car may belong to someone in the local club. Please provide details and if we get a connection you will get some answers. The right car will be worth the time.

Brian O
bostosh is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
SF W108's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2010 Mercedes E350, 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si; previous: 1969 Mercedes 280se, 2006 Mercedes C230 Sport
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a W108 owner, I'd be delighted if the value of the sedans actually went up to the 9K range. But as some have mentioned, that is a pretty high price, the sedan would have to be a flawless trophy winner to achieve that price.
I purchased my 1-owner, religiously maintained '69 280se sedan for under $4K some months ago in CA, if that helps you any.....and all it needed was $200 in parts afterward (I replaced worn belts, new rear bushings, pwr str dampener, points, etc).
I use mine as a daily driver (less than 8/mi/day). I feel that the parts are actually reasonable. I have a 2010 Chevy that costs more to operate than my '69 Benz, when you include car payment, insurance, and regular maintenance on that vehicle. (dealers charge you $300 per service A, B etc)
Gas is getting pretty expensive, I just paid $4.89/gallon to fill her up. And they like to drink.....but for a 60s automobile, I think the gas mileage is decent. When I'm asked the mileage I get, I tell people I didn't buy it for the mpg, i bought it because i love it.
If you find any if the SF Bay Area, I'd be more than happy to help you out in taking a first look at it, or driving it to a shop for you to have them check it out.
SF W108 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Location: Nevada City, ca
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Documentation

I would be very wary of the milage claim even with the documentation. Its easy to leave out a few years and end up with the same milage minus 100K.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
3.5 Tony is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
fss242's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1982 Mercedes 300 D
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
Greetings, I am near Coronado and this car may belong to someone in the local club. Please provide details and if we get a connection you will get some answers. The right car will be worth the time.
Here's the link off ebay for the car:

Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series Mercedes-Benz : 200-Series - eBay (item 251011245418 end time Mar-12-12 21:54:10 PDT)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm glad I checked on here with people way more knowledgeable than myself before taking a dive. You guys were more than helpful.
fss242 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Purchase Advise- Help! Detroitbenzdiesel W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 8 12-18-2010 09:30 AM
    R350 Purchase Advise mrcharismatic W251 R-Class 9 07-14-2010 06:55 PM
    Advise .. Possible Purchase n2siast C208/A208 CLK-Class 6 06-27-2009 08:28 PM
    advise on purchase? dogbutter R170 SLK-Class 10 02-14-2005 05:53 AM
    Please advise if I should purchase CLK... rjp C208/A208 CLK-Class 8 12-26-2002 01:11 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome