LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Price may be a bit on the high side given current market, but it will cost you way more to bring an average $2000 car to the condition of this one. So, as others said, offer less, and see how it goes. In the end $4000 won't be bad anyway if that's what you have to pay.

The most attractive element of this car is that it seems to be in excellent original condition. You have to make sure you keep it that way. Driving it around is the best you can do to keep it in good working order, but you have to make sure you have a garage to protect it from rain and sun. And put the seat covers back on.

Last edited by GGR; 12-09-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2010 Mercedes E350, 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si; previous: 1969 Mercedes 280se, 2006 Mercedes C230 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you once again to everyone who responded.
The seller and I have reached an "agreed to" price less than the asking amount. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
There was a level of sensitivity I felt I needed to possess during the negotiations as the seller was selling this car for his recently deceased parents.

I will post photos up after I receive the vehicle and look forward to driving the Merc around.

Being a newbie to the classic Mercedes world, is there a classic Benz group in the Bay Area? I reside in San Francisco and wouldn't mind meeting those in my area.

Thank you once again to for the pointers.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Trek 520
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey SF, congratulations. The W108 is a fabulous car. In the late 90s I bought a 72 280 SEL 4.5 for "work truck" in LA for 9 months. I was deploying a CDMA cell network and probably carried around 300 lbs of equipment all of the time. It would still do 130mph but than I'd have to pull over right away and add two qts of oil.

I couldn't believe the build quality, I showed my friends by giving it an easy kick with work boots that was 100% unscathed. Their new high payment trucks would have been $$$ damaged by the same. I even pulled out a few mini pick ups from soft sand, that thing refused to die or get stuck. I drove it's wheels off for the time I had it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image11.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	414498  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thrill the old guy, just give him the 4K, it will be the cheapest car you may ever own (Karma ya know) . come back and give him a ride in it too.

I saw an guy just about cry when we pulled out with his W108 4.5. The kids and wife convinced him to buy a $40,000 Volvo about 15 yrs ago, and ditch the "old" mercedes, his W108 is still a good car delivering service for about $25 per month.

where is the expensive volvo?

Brian O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in