LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wheremdo I tighten fan belt on W111 Coupe?

Sorry for such a simple question folks, but I tried searching using various terms like v belt, fan belt, tension, tighten, etc., and can't find what I need. When I pull away under power load (the wipers and blower were both on) the car squeals from a belt slipping. When I turn them off it didn't seem to squeal, but this could also be coincidence since it's on and off with rain today.

I just need to know where to put the wrench to adjust the tension for the belt. I just got this car and have never dealt with this engine before, so I am being overly cautious rather than tinkering. Also, do I just push the requisite part that I loosened until it tightens up and the belt has just a little give when I push on it, or is there more to it for this engine? Any other tricks or special precautions please let me know.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 11-17-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Do you mean the alternator belt specifically?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 1969 280 SE Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Service Manuals

I would suggest obtaining a service manual for you car
Haynes or a MBZ service manual is full of great info.
I would inspect the power steering,Water pump, alternator, and the ac system
If these components are good, I would replace the belts and adjust per service manual. Most old MBZ need renewing on the power steering system
Alternator, AC and idler pulley. Plus the water pumps typically need to be renewed.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to both!
Matvh: This car is new to me but I do have a manual on CD coming from Classic Center so am in the dark for the next couple of days. I didn't know Haynes made one for our cars, but I wasn't too pleased with the lack of clear explanation in their manual for my W202, do you find the Haynes useful for these older models as a supplement to the factory service manual? The power steering was leaking like Julian Assange when I got it, but after driving a few days the leaks have slowed significantly. I read elsewhere from buyers of vintage metal that just getting out and enjoying an old car will sometimes cure random maladies! I will check the other systems you suggested tho the AC appears dead and the wire has been cut. I'll try to quick fix and fire it up if possible before switching it out.

To Flyboy: I did manage to discover the bracket for adjustment on the alternator, it was obscured beneath the aftermarket AC compressor so it looked solid with no adjustments from what I could see from above, but after thoroughly contorting myself I was able to see the adjustment bracket. It's currently at it's fullest extension, so I assume the belt is stretched to capacity and a new one is in order.
(BTW, I noticed people asking what type of plane that is in your sig before, but is that delivery livery and it's yet to be painted? Can they fly before a tail number is assigned?)

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 11-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
(BTW, I noticed people asking what type of plane that is in your sig before, but is that delivery livery and it's yet to be painted? Can they fly before a tail number is assigned?)
The plane in the sig is a prototype CRJ900 doing test flights. I didn't want to identify my airline, so I found a more "anonymous" photo.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in