76 240D master key question - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
76 240D master key question

Can the square master key be duplicated using the VIN number. I have the round valet key only. The master key is missing so I cannot unlock the trunk unless someone can tell me how to utilize the vacuum lock system to unlock the trunk if that's even possible.
oldgreen76-240d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Yes. Take the current registration (some dealers might require the the title) and a photo I.D. to the dealer and they will order a key for you. This key will be for the ORIGINAL lock cylinder so if someone has replaced the ignition it won't work.

You might get lucky. Most of the glove box lock cylinders have all of the tumblers installed (the missing tumblers are the difference between the keys). You can pull the lock and have a locksmith cut you a key. Have them use a STEEL blank. If they can't/wont supply you with a steel key then consider it as "rainy day" use only. The soft keys are one of the best ways to bugger up an ignition lock cylinder.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
You can also cut a new master key, using the valet as a template. The only difference is the key blank. Get your hands on a master key blank, and you're in business.
GeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You can also cut a new master key, using the valet as a template. The only difference is the key blank. Get your hands on a master key blank, and you're in business.
No sir, you can cut a valet key from a blank to a valet key. But just cutting a key does not make it a master. And a master key is one that will start any Mercedes (with that lock), not just his.

Master = Manufacturer

Owner = All lock's

Valet = no trunk or glove box.

If I told you, you only had to file the valet key to make it a owner key, what would you say?

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.

Last edited by Mercedes mechanic; 11-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Mercedes mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administratoris Emeritus

The only difference between a master key and a valet is the key blank, and you can absolutely create a functional master key by cutting a master key blank, using your valet key for a template, since they have identical cuts. I should know, I have done just that literally dozens of times. Furthermore, you can easily turn a master key into a valet key, though you cannot turn a valet key into a master.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
The only difference between a master key and a valet is the key blank, and you can absolutely create a functional master key by cutting a master key blank, using your valet key for a template, since they have identical cuts. I should know, I have done just that literally dozens of times. Furthermore, you can easily turn a master key into a valet key, though you cannot turn a valet key into a master.
Your still saying master key. Its a owner key. A master key will turn all Mercedes ignition locks.

His car has a possibility of 1296 key's. Ask me how I know that.

Is your valet key stamped with a number at all?
Mercedes mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administratoris Emeritus

Are you serious? This is about semantics? Go back and see what Mercedes called the key that operates the ignition and opens the trunk 35 years ago (the age of the car in the op), if it means that much to you. Now please stop trolling the thread with this nonsense.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz