post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1992 190e 2.6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question For ShadeTree Mechanics

Is it possible for someone deft with tools to rebuild a Mercedes V8 engine?

Are there special factory tools needed and how expensive are parts as compared to a domestic engine rebuild?

How about cross reference of parts, can say pistons from another much less expensive car fit in place of the Benz ones?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Additionally, is the 4.5 engine totally stand alone or do I need a computer to run it?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can make most Mercedes stand alone, I have seen a few 5.0 upgrades. And I even have seen a 6.0 upgrade. But that took alot to do it. A 350? or are you wanting a more Mercedes look under the hood?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes mechanic View Post
You can make most Mercedes stand alone, I have seen a few 5.0 upgrades. And I even have seen a 6.0 upgrade. But that took alot to do it. A 350? or are you wanting a more Mercedes look under the hood?
Here's what I have.

I have a 250S that I purchased without an engine. I found a 4.5 out of a 109 complete with transmission but not the rear end.

So my question is do I need a Mercedes computer (my car never had a computer since is was a lowly carbed engine).

As far as MB look under the hood I don;t really care about that, my original plan was to use a Ford 302/AOD combo but then I found this 4.5 engine.

If it's going to be too much work (I already may have to rebuild this engine),then I'll just stick my domestic powerplant idea.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver2 View Post
Here's what I have.

I have a 250S that I purchased without an engine. I found a 4.5 out of a 109 complete with transmission but not the rear end.

So my question is do I need a Mercedes computer (my car never had a computer since is was a lowly carbed engine).

As far as MB look under the hood I don;t really care about that, my original plan was to use a Ford 302/AOD combo but then I found this 4.5 engine.

If it's going to be too much work (I already may have to rebuild this engine),then I'll just stick my domestic powerplant idea.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions.
The 109s used the D-Jet version of the M117 engine, so yes, you will need an ECU. As ECUs go, those are relatively inexpensive, but I wouldn't recommend it as a shade tree project.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It would be a bit of work to install a Djet engine in a car that did not originally have it. if you really want the 4.5 i would consider Megasquirt. By rebuilding what do you mean? most parts are reasonalbe except pistons which are VERY expensive. Usually the heads are what need the work. You can buy all new OEM valves, springs and guides for about $650 or so(going from memory) if they need a total rebuild.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your guidance Guys.

Now I understand that it is a bit more work to install any Mercedes V8 into a 108 that did not come with a V8 and/or fuel injection.

Tony, I was told that the engine was previously rebuilt but it sat out in the elements for years.

Just out of curiosity what value would you place on a 4.5 with a 4.5 trans that had sat out in the elements?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you have a D-Jet version of the engine, the Megasquirt system is supposed to be really easy to do. I'm exploring that option on my M117.982 engine, and it looks fairly easy to do, the Megasquirt is a modern version port fuel injection system. like the D-Jetronic .

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Unfortunatlly not much. I just bought a good 4.5 from the Pick and pull for $160 including core charge (half price day)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver2 View Post
Thanks for your guidance Guys.

Now I understand that it is a bit more work to install any Mercedes V8 into a 108 that did not come with a V8 and/or fuel injection.

Tony, I was told that the engine was previously rebuilt but it sat out in the elements for years.

Just out of curiosity what value would you place on a 4.5 with a 4.5 trans that had sat out in the elements?

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I don't agree that it would be hard to put a D-Jet into your car. In the Oz version of the V8 W108, the D-Jet 3.5 V8 had it's own loom that connected the brain (in the front right corner of the engine bay) to the engine and electrical system.
I have put a 4.5 K-Jet motor into my 1965 W111 finnie, have never done wiring before and it was fairly easy.
Finny build-up pictures by drew56cus - Photobucket
(Gee I need to update that album)

I haven't responded to any of your other posts on engines, but I have done a few myself too. My 220S has a W108 280S in it. Goes well but is thirsty. It seems pretty easy to find the I6 motors over here.
I tried a 302W but to get the sump and starter to avoid the steering it has to sit up quite high in the engine bay. There used to be a website based in teh US called something like 302-351 engine swapers but I lost the link and never re-found it. Most seemed to be doing steering mods. I didn't want to go that route.
Anyway, you have done your homework, and all of them are viable options. Good luck!
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in