Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Junkyard Find - how to post on forum?

I would like to start a discussion on how to best report junkyard finds on the forums. There are many approaches to this and maybe it doesn't matter, but I think that we could improve the process and visibility if we came up with a set of standards:

1. Where to post? Choices could be A) Vintage B) For sale / wanted c) model-specific forum D) model-specific forum for those models that HAVE a specific forum, vintage for everything else E) a new forum that is just for junkyard finds.

2. Subject line of post - I think it is useful for the subject line to contain all of the information necessary for someone to see if they want to read the thread, for instance: Location, Model, minor descriptor. For instance, a subject line might be "Junkyard Find - W114 couple, Los Angeles area, mostly complete", and then the body of the original post can contain as much description as the poster is willing to include about the car (and of course the specific location of the car).

3. Life of the thread - The forum thread could be ongoing additions of new findings, which I think isn't so good, or a new thread for each find. If there is a new thread for each junkyard find ideally it would be good for others to post updates (if any) on that particular car until it is NLA and then the thread could be closed or purged...

One of the down-sides to posting junkyard finds is that people sometimes ask you to go salvage parts for them. I think it is important to realize that by merely posting the find, the individual is doing the forum a favor, and if the individual is not interested in getting parts for someone else we should all view that as completely reasonable. (In other words, I'm not pulling a dash from a car and shipping it to Portugal for you)

I would appreciate comments from those of you who frequent junkyards - what do you think would be the most useful way to convey information about the cars we find....?

Scott

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM
dkr
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I think it should be the other way around: a want list vs. a find list. My idea is that we have an online database (I'm a programmer and could probably whip something up quickly) with major geographic areas and a list of MB models. Someone could put in a request for a specific item and when members go to a junkyard, they could print out a list of requested items in their geographic area. When a hit is found, they could simply PM or e-mail the member requesting the specific part.

I think this should only be used for hard to find items. For example, I'm looking for a black W123 driver's seat in good condition. I could go to 10-20+ junkyards before finding one. I will probably either find it by luck or buy new upholstery. Common items such as a transmission or power steering pump wouldn't need to be posted as they are readily available everywhere.

Dkr.

Last edited by dkr; 10-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
I think it should be the other way around: a want list vs. a find list.
I think what you want (a want list) is a valid desire, but I also think it is an apples/oranges type of thing. A wish list is static - you want the part until you get it. A junkyard post is dynamic - the car is only available for a limited period of time and then the item/topic/thread is of no use anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr View Post
My idea is that we have an online database (I'm a programmer and could probably whip something up quickly) with major geographic areas and a list of MB models. Someone could put in a request for a specific item and when members go to a junkyard, they could print out a list of requested items in their geographic area. When a hit is found, they could simply PM or e-mail the member requesting the specific part.
An interesting idea, but that assumes much more responsiblity on the person who is going to the junkyard. Personally, I am not going to consistently check the current wish lists for junkyards, although now that I think of it, if it were easy enough I probably would...

Here's what one of the Jaguar groups does... not a good user interface but somewhat interesting anyway:
JagXCHANGE from Jag-lovers

I think your suggestion of a database is a good one and I think it probably deserves its own thread for discussion. Independent of the outcome of that endeavor, I think that discussion of how to best post "junkyard finds" is worth discussion (in this thread).

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've just used a simple blog format. No requests or anything like that.

Houston Junkyard Watch

1982 280SL - Petrol Green/Palamino
1984 300CD - Signal Red/Palamino?
1994 E420 - Brilliant Silver/Gray
1995 E320 wagon - Brilliant Silver/Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in