post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rust repair on trunk of 72 220d

another rust repair question ...

peeling back the rubber mat in my trunk revealed this...

the metal inside the red outline is shot so I'm planning on on seam sealing ( JB weld ) 1/4 inch ( or so ) metal around this particular spot - the rest ( besides the hole in the spare tire dip ) is strong enough that I'm hoping wire wheel - naval jelly - por 15 - fiberglass resin might be enough to hold it for awhile.

I know this wont be a completely permanent solution though I'd like to at least slow down the rust and be able to use the trunk.

what I'd like to know is a few things ...

can I cover up those "circles" on the lower left and right?

after grinding and painting ( por 15 ) to the outlined area. I was thinking of using a heavy aluminum since it won't rust again - should I use steel ? any advice is appreciated

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
First, find the leak and fix it! It's usually the rear wind screen gasket but it could be the trunk lid gasket itself. You are wasting your time otherwise. Any little pore in the coating will allow the moisture to continue to migrate into the metal allowing the formation of yet more iron oxide.

The metal trunk floor is an integral part of the rear crash protection. An unfortunate circumstance of uni body cars is their strength is in the ENTIRE assembly and not a separate frame structure. Replace it with metal, either a trunk floor from a donor car or make a piece of flat steel to fit. I suggest welding but some people have had success with riveting AND epoxy.

Check the body struts running below the bed. They are usually okay but I have had a couple which were just undercoating covering a pile of rust.

I have never figured out the significance of the circular "lids". They seem to serve no purpose. Assembly aids? Holdovers from a previous die? Strengtheners? I dunno. I've replaced them and eliminated them with no apparent difference.

The aluminum idea will work for a short time but you'll end up rotting the remaining metal even faster.

Last edited by Mike D; 09-28-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks Mike D

I agree about fixing the leaks - good advice -
the first thing I did was to replace the back window seal.
I've got to do the trunk seal as well before the rainy season.

I like the idea of welding though I have no experience (and no welder) - money is not a super big issue but I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else if possible. Don't know how difficult/dangerous welding would be since I've never done it.

the struts look ok I believe but am going to clean it off from underneath and then I'll really be able to tell.

thanks again !
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: