post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: CLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I get it 250c w/Rust

First I shall let you know that I am a long time aircooled vw mechanic and do a lotof work on older german vehicles. Being the vw guy that i am, I look at rusty floors as a wear out part. I have done plenty of my share. The car that I am looking at has bad floors front and back. I haven't been able to see the frame area yet. Due to the rusty floors, is this normal as in the old VW's or is there another problem at hand? I currently own a 380sel & 190e also so I do know Mercs a bit. When the floors rust do they take other important parts with them, or just there to keep your feet from dragging the road? The rest of the car is mint and drives perfect.

I am considering a trade with him for my old BMW 633csi. I never really liked bimmers, I actually think vw's & Mercs are better built cars.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
The W114 is a unibody car and as such the floor pans are an integral part of the body's integrity. Check the trunk floor also. The cause is usually water entering from the wind screen seals being dry rotted.

Check the front sub frames' rear bushing socket also. For whatever reason they seem prone to rusting out. It must have something to do with the different roof lines on the coupes. None of my W114 sedans had this problem but both of my coupes ('72 and '74) did.

I'd keep the BMW and look for a better W114 unless of course you like welding, fitting and grinding sheet metal.

Of course I'll deny the fact I ever told anyone to keep a Beemer over a Benz.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: