Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
'72 280sel questions/restore thread

Hey all,

The 280sel is finally getting fully restored (well ripped into tiny pieces as it needs new....everything). I like my mother's 280se with the column shift far better than the floor shift. What parts/how hard is it to convert? Has anybody done this before?

I also need to buy the wood trim that surrounds each of the windows. So far I have found one of the pieces on ebay germany. Any tips where I can just buy a complete set? Does MB classic center in Socal sell parts or just deal with in house restorations?

I have tons of questions, but I'll try and control how quickly I vomit them onto the forum lol. I'm working on another half dozen cars at the same time as this one so progress won't be too quick, but I will keep you all updated and post pictures as I go (as best I can).

Thanks so much,
Ricky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Classic center probably has everything for your car but its your most expensive option. If you need a lot of parts then you should look for a parts car, W108 chassis go cheap. What kind of shape is the car in? I ask because I owned a couple of W108 cars that ran but needed complete resto but it just made no financial sense. So I sold off the junkers and bought a really nice 1972 280SEL/4.5, much cheaper in the long run. In fact I have never heard of anyone completing a major rebuild of a W108, lots of plans but economic reality usually gets in the way. Parts for these cars are pretty easy, try ADSIT or Peach parts. I look foreward to your updates. These cars are really good and worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in