LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering a 1976 280 for $2500.00

Car has been meticulously maintained, gas, 4A1 SOLEX, everything on this car works, body is spotless, undercarriage looks new - being sold because owner/grandfather passed away. 89,000 miles. All service records, owners manual, etc., present. I'm going to go replace the battery and get this car running Sat., hope to drive it a bit, it has sat for about a year.

I think 2500.00 is a fair price given what I'm seeing - obviously not looking to resell it but it's always nice to know you could without losing your shirt. I'm hoping to be able to drive this car - not sure how long or how far.. but I don't want it for a trailer or garage queen.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this car, it's not really that desireable given it's a sedan and gas... but it is CLEAN.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '73 280 (114)
Well. I can say that I have a '73 280 for which I payed $950 from a friend who acquired it from the original owner, Agnes. I put tires and had a tune up which added about $1000. Later I replaced a speedometer cable for $100. It's almost a 40 year old car. S*%T happens. Recently my steering box broke loose from the frame and it was a $300 repair. Also, the carb parts are hard to source for the Solex, (If it needs them). I just found that one of my tail lights didn't work, but it's just an old ground wire and 'free' to fix. So, I have to say I love this car. I've owned a lot of metal, mostly Honda's, but there were a few VW's and some American stuff too including a new Ford Ranger. To round out the list, I've also owned a 2006 BMW 235i, a 2006 Audi A3, a 2009 BMW 328i and a 2009 BMW X3. I can honestly say that I love Agnes more than all of those. Having said that.... she's slow (as am I), gas hungry, heavy, but worth the little bit of eccentricity and an absolute pleasure to drive. Let me just say, "You could buy a 2006 Honda Civic for $3500 and it would run for another zillion miles." but then.... you'd only own a boring Honda Civic.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
(Thread Starter)
Funny you refer to a Honda Civic...

a beater civic, or corolla, etc., of course makes sense... but in fact to get into a car like that and have it be reliable would realistically be close to 8,000.00... the distinct difference of course is that the Japanese car would be zippy. But as for the difference in gas consumption - at the end of the year the higher purchase price would offset the better mpg.

And.. as you point out - driving a beater Civic is an entirely different quality of life experience when compared to driving around in your living room. The point I'm wrestling with is the reality that diving into a car like this is a very emotional decision vice a logical/practical one - and emotional decisions are red-flags for me.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: