LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Runs now but stalls when put in gear

OK I have finally gotten the 280S to run, rebuilt carbs, fresh fuel new rotor plugs and wires. She seems to run well but I am sure I need the carbs professionally tuned. Problem now is it stalls when put in gear. I have read all the other posts on this issue and have eliminated problems like stuck brake etc. I believe it has everything to do with the vacuum line set up. I have no idea where all the hoses go on this 1971 280S with the 2 and 3 way switches. I old schooled it and just hooked the vacuum up on the advance side to the front carb throttle plate. I have posted several times in here for someone to help with this prob but apparently I am the only one with this model. No repair manuals show a diagram for these vacuum hoses Please help if you can
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
I'm assuming it's an automatic...
They usually stall when put in gear because of a sticky valve or high idle.
- get some lucas tranny fix, take out that much (the bottle's worth) tranny fluid and put the bottle of lucas in.
- adjust the idle so the rpms are less than 700 when you try to put it in gear, it should actually idle at 500, but I've had no problems at 700, and it is possible to get it in gear at 800, but the tires usually skid on the pavement. Any higher 900+ rpm and the cars usually just stall when put in gear.
I had the same problem when I got my car and I notice the high idle usually being the cause for slamming into gear and stalling sometimes still.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
I doubt the vacuum system is the root of your stalling problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try connecting things correctly. I Googled "mercedes 250c vacuum diagrams" and that pulled up several diagrams on Google images. I'll put a link to the best one below. It might be the same on a 280S. -G.

Redirect Notice
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '73 280 (114)
I didn't have quite the same issue as you, but maybe not too far off. My solution was to check and correctly install all of the vacuum hoses on my emissions control stuff. (I also had crap from my tank in my carb but that's me...) I found the vacuum diagram in an old Chilton manual that I found on the internet. I believe the public library has computer access to most shop manuals for free too. It was suggested to me that the brake booster might be robing vacuum from the intake manifold due to the diaphragm leaking. Easy to check by simply disconnecting the vacuum to it and plugging the hole. You wont have power brakes right then, but if the car runs then problem solved.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: