ADVICE, PLEASE: 1977 300d / 1979 300td trans & small issues - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ADVICE, PLEASE: 1977 300d / 1979 300td trans & small issues

Hey guys, I hope this is the right spot for this thread. I've been reading these forums for a while, but this is my first time posting.

I've recently dropped a 1977 300D motor into a 1979 300TD body. I'm using the '79 300TD trans because the 77 was shot. I have a few problems & questions to ask.

Right now the car is running pretty great; we were having some issues with the throttle but after adjusting the linkage we're able to get full throttle. As far as driving goes our only problem right now is with the trans. The car will shift the first time by itself around 30MPH, but the RPMs sound way too high. It'll shift sooner only if I lift off the gas. The rest of the time (for higher gears) it'll only shift when I lift off the gas pedal a bit to let it shift. The trans doesn't seem weak at all; I'm 100% sure the trans is good.

We're thinking it might be linkage? But not so sure how to go about it.

We've replaced the bushings on the shifter, and it feels great.. But I still have to put the shifter in N for reverse, and S for drive.. D is actually Netural. In essence, everything is down one. Though, Park still works in P.

Lastly, if anybody just has any advice about these diesel cars or just things I should keep in mind about putting the 77 motor in the 79 I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited by Flofloyd; 07-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 300TD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Here's an update.. After changing the bushings the shifter feels great.. And the shifting pattern has changed a bit. It shifts more than once before 30MPH, and its usually in the top gear around 40 or 50.

The shifter is still wonky, though. Here's how it's currently working:
P = Park
R = Shifter slides down to N
N = Reverse
D = Neutral
S = Drive
L = Slope/sport (I'm assuming.. haven't drivenin L too much.. but it seems like everything is just down one.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First you'll need to adjust the rod between shifter and lever on the transmission, so that D is Drive again. The rod can be adjusted in length once it is disconnected.

The shift points and shift quality is controlled by a single rod from the gas linkage. Shorter means late shifts, longer means later shifts. Correct adjustment is adviced by MB, because the rod also controls the shift quality (and oil pressure inside the transmission). Incorrect adjustment might result in transmission damage. The FSM has the method of adjusting the rod.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: