Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My 250 head is on a w108 280 SEL "BODY" and my engine is a(n) m129.
129 980-12-028007 to be exact. I don't know why the original owners would have swapped a(n) m130 for a(n) m129. Could be because they were more popular and cheaper. I purchased the car without service records, big NO NO. I was new to MB classics when I purchased the car and later realized that the chassis data card was removed, the distributor did not belong to a 280 sel and then surprise surprise the engine and head did not belong to the 1970 280sel....One thing that i do notice is a small metal plate with rivets just below the engine number stamped on the engine. I can clearly see the m129 designation on the plate but all the rest of the numbers are very hard to see. My w108 currently runs rich and I just checked the cold start valve this morning with the ignition on(car off) and I noticed fuel coming out when i removed the 7mm bolt. I'm actually in search of a w126 300sdl but I've had no luck. I am also considering a w126 300sel. I also drive a 1979 300sd and I call this car a work horse. Very dependable car. Will be removing the electrical/ mechanical window regulators and will be converting to manual. I'm tired of removing and replacing these poorly designed parts.