Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1970, 280 sel trunk won't open

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  oldbenzfan 
#1 ·
I've done some research here and (in 2004) Benzdoc recommended drilling a 1/8 inch hole above the license plate as a last resort to opening an MB trunk. I'm at the last resort stage, I think.

I could remove the back seat but I understand that the gas tank may be behind it.

I'm willing to drill the hole above the license plate, but could someone please tell me where exactly the hole should be? And, once I do that, what will I "see" and what should I do to open the trunk?

Any help you might give will be gratefully received!

#2 ·
Can you offer some explanation? Are you missing the key? Does it turn, if you have the key? Is the vacuum lock not disengaging?

Gas tank is not behind the seat - there's a structural (steel) wall directly behind it. You wouldn't be able to access the trunk with the seat taken out.

As for drilling a hole above the plate, I'm at a loss. I'm not sure you'd accomplish much. Have you thought about trying a locksmith?

#3 ·
Details: bought the car Fall 2010. It came with only one key (square head; we had several copies made, all of which work in the ignition and doors).

We never lock the trunk. Took it to mechanic to check out the AC last week. When we got it back, the trunk would not open (probably coincidental). The button depresses but the trunk remains firmly latched. None of the keys turn the lock. The keyway is in a vertical orientation. Visited a locksmith yesterday and he sprayed a cleaner into the keyway and raked the lock, but it didn't help.

I don't know whether the vacuum lock is engaging and/or disengaging. With all doors shut and the engine running, when I push down the plunger on the driver door, I do not hear any sound I would expect to hear if it were working, and none of the other door locks engage. This process has not resulted in freeing the trunk lid.

Suggestions?

#5 ·
Ahhh, ok. Sounds like the vacuum locking system went out. I'd look at the cause of that first, and go from there.

Come to think of it though, I don't remember if the trunk is locked via the vacuum central lock system. The gas fill access door is.

Can any 108/109 owners out there tell me if the trunk has a vacuum controlled lock?

#6 ·
Hi:
Trunk is vacuum controlled --- I know because I also do not have a key that works on my 300SEL trunk. The vacuum lines on mine are very leak-ey and don't always work. I am worried that it will lock the trunk one time (it doesn't do it every time!) and then not unlock.

I am not near my car, but I believe the key slot is in the horizontal position. If turned to the vertical, it locks out the vacuum lock. It might be the other way around, though.

Hope it gets figured out. Please share the solution for those of us on edge about the same problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.