GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzenco View Post
Tomorrow, I will jack up car and try to reach there...Thank you very much GGR for suggestions and detailed information...
You're welcome. Don't jack the car, only the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Be sure to check the steering coupler. It has bushings that when worn will add alot of play.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5 Tony View Post
Be sure to check the steering coupler. It has bushings that when worn will add alot of play.
Good point. Start with that. The steering coupler is right in between the steering box and the firewall.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The steering coupler is a well known source of wheel play. There are rubber bushings that disintegrate with age. Be careful that you make marks on the shafts before you take it apart, to make sure you are lined up properly when you put it back together. Just be glad you are not trying to do it on a 107. Benz there, done that, got the T-shirt. And the scars.

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 280SE 3.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi everybody,

I finally reached that hex nut yesterday which is very difficult to reach and too much time as it remains exactly under exhaust manifold.I was able to reduce play little bit however still more than 10% free play exist on steering wheel.Thank you very much for great suggestion about steering coupler. I will check that bushings on steering coupler.I forgot about them)I'm sure they are worn.

Do I need to mark position before removal coupler from the lower shaft to steering coupler or from both sides?

Regards,

Kutluhan
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The adjustment mentioned does not act directly on the steering shaft but adjusts the spring tension pulling the ball on the steering shaft into the socket on the power piston. The ball and socket are a very precise fit so if it is actually loose no amount of tightening will help. This is not a adjustment that "changes" over time to make up for wear. Most likely the looseness is in the suspension somewhere(Tie rod ends, center link, idler arm, king pins or the coupler). You can purchase just the bushings for the coupler. Also insure the bolts holding on the box are tight. Sounds obvious but it has happened.
I doubt your box is worn out. My coupe has many miles and the box feels like new.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
I kind of assumed the play had already been isolated to the gearbox. In order to do this , with car turned off and key on ,have someone rock wheel back and forth. If there is play in the coupler you can see it. If the play is in the gearbox, the input shaft will move but the pitmam arm will not. If the play is in the bushings, tie ends you probably won't feel any play at a standstill. If the play is in the gearbox try the adjustment first. It is a very common problem.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 280SE 3.5
(Thread Starter)
Yes exactly!,yesterday, I removed steering coupler.Bushings completely finished) one was broken just after removal.I will replace them with new ones). By the way, I already removed steering box for maintenance,I realized that vertical piston seal deformed and therefore lower case of steering box is a little bit oily,as it was removed, I will replace its all seal rings and check out for wearing as well.
It took my complete day to remove all steering box,it was terrible, specially, removal of drag link and tie end rods, but it worth I think.Now I was able to access everything.

I will try to upload pictures in few days...

Regards,

Kutluhan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in