post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmripper View Post
If your car has a manual air purge valve (near the Injection pump), you may want to pump it a few times to release any air trapped in your system before attempting to start. It should be a knob or button. If it is the knob unscrew it, pump till it feels firm then screw it back in. If it is the button just pump till it feels firm.

I bought a 600 dollar benz in much worse condition.

I was born in 76, and am a big diesel fan. Thats why I think your car is super cool.
Hey thanks for the tip. I discovered that last night i think. Its a large plastic thing sitting on top of or near the fuel filter housing. I pumped it but i never saw any fuel comming out of the return line that had cracked from me touching it.

I have a theory that the leak at the hose on the bottom of the fuel tank may have caused some drain back and there is no fuel up at the engine... Where is the fuel pump located on these Mercedes diesels? Im assuming they are mechanical diaphragm pumps?

Thanks, i think this car is super cool too man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The starter should be here early this week! I can not wait to get this thing running.

I still need to take out the p/s bracket and repair that.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Getting air out of the fuel system is done by opening up the screw of the return line (on top of the fuel filter). Pump the hand pump (large plastic thing) until fuel comes out, tighten screw. Pump some more until you hear the valve of the diesel pump opening (whizzing noise).

Starting the engine will also de-air the system, but if there is a lot of air, it can take a while which is bad for your starter.

The lift pump which pumps fuel from the tank to the filter and IP is screwed on the side of the IP and is driven by the pump's camshaft.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert70227 View Post
Getting air out of the fuel system is done by opening up the screw of the return line (on top of the fuel filter). Pump the hand pump (large plastic thing) until fuel comes out, tighten screw. Pump some more until you hear the valve of the diesel pump opening (whizzing noise).

Starting the engine will also de-air the system, but if there is a lot of air, it can take a while which is bad for your starter.

The lift pump which pumps fuel from the tank to the filter and IP is screwed on the side of the IP and is driven by the pump's camshaft.
Thanks for the tip!

I suspect that the starter my have had help being killed by that too.

The braided injector return lines can be replaced with any fuel line correct?
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
As long as it's 'Fuel Injection Rated' tubing. The regular stuff won't stand up to the pressures needed for the injectors. Injection rated tubing is reinforced to handle the pressures involved. It may be a bit more expensive, but it pays for itself in life span.

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTek View Post
As long as it's 'Fuel Injection Rated' tubing. The regular stuff won't stand up to the pressures needed for the injectors. Injection rated tubing is reinforced to handle the pressures involved. It may be a bit more expensive, but it pays for itself in life span.
There is not much pressure in the return lines.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I finally got the new starter in and installed it without a hitch.

I discovered that the battery i wanted to use was dead so i put it on the charger. It wouldnt take very much of a charge. I only wanted to witness the starter working and the engine turning over, so i procedded to use jumper cables to get the engine to turn over. with out even allowing the glow plugs to warm, the engine tried to start after a couple of revolutions of cranking!!!. I was very excited and surprised that the car was showing positive signs of running. I will get a new battery and change the oil before attempting to start the car.

Good day today.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Ahh yeah. Not surprising your batt is not strong enuf. They need alot of juice to start these cars.
Almost there, you'll be driving soon.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
It runs!!!!!!

It idles rather rough but im confident that a good diesel purge and some new bushings it will run smoothly. I figure there is a vacuum leak because the car will not shut off unless that shut off lever is depressed.

I foolishly tried to put the car in gear before checking the trans fluid. It wouldnt move with throttle application. My stomach sunk, but i figured the small leak after a few months had let out enough fluid to lower it that much. What fluid do these auto transmissions take?
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Dexron II or III. Put in a new filter and don't forget to drain the torque converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in