post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '70 280se '85 190e '95 c280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1970 280SE 2.8 engine cuts out.

OK Posted earlier and got good advise. My 1970 SE 2.8 fuel injected was having spark problems. It was running rough. I was told it was the ignition control unit. she sat all winter. and then ran fine for a day or two. she then started with the stalling and not starting for a while on and off. I replaced the Ignition control unit. (got a re manufactured one cheep) she was running great after being installed until she would then stall out in the middle of driving again and not restart for a while this was any were from 20 minutes up to a day....... I installed a new Coil, condenser, and two ballast's. just to be sure. (the plugs, wires, points and rotor were about a year old and had good gap and no fouling.) She started up better than ever then stalled again and would start after a while... The fuel pump is working great and the times she would stall and I tried to start you could slightly smell raw gas out the pipe so she was getting good fuel it would just turn over and over with no sputter or any sign of life. then after a while fire rite up. The gas was new and good also.

Fast forward a few days to this week and I decide to let her idle for 30 min monday and had no problems. then today I let her idle for 40 min before driving and she ran great didn't stall. I know its a lot to go with but anyone have any ideas.

Last edited by Mooneymedic; 04-28-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2011
What you are describing sounds a lot like an electrical problem and an intermittent one at that. a ground is much more likely to occur as the voltage increases so It seems like a good idea to recheck the plug wires. In a high humidity the chance of a ground also increases. If it stalls again see if wiggling the wires makes a difference. Or better yet change them and see if it happens again. At the voltages a coil produces it doesn't take much to arc to ground. Also maybe try to start it at night and see if there is any arcing. I hope this helps, these are frustrating to solve.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1970 Mercedes 250c, 1977 mercedes 230 (put to rest at a junyard she served me well)
ICU, etc. etc.

This happened to me kind of, it wouldn't start, I changed the coil, had the resistors tested, changed the ICU, and it ran w the new ignition module but stalled and stuff like you said. I put the original coil back in, and all the problems went away.

My friend tested the old ICU w a mulitmeter, and found bad resistors, so the module was definitely the problem, but the coil they sold me at carquest, and the ones other stores brought up in their computers ended up being totally wrong. The original bosch coil from 1977 worked. There are some ideas for you, definitely sounds spark related, what type of coil/ resistors are you using?

If it's starting and running, its not a bad connection or wire, because if it was it wouldn't just run and then decide to not be connected. Somethings not sparking the way it should.

Last edited by makinfrenzinmybenz; 05-03-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: another thought.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: '70 280se '85 190e '95 c280
(Thread Starter)
Update. The car is running fine. she mad a 60+ mile trip on the highway and also the back roads with hills, starts, and stops. there was no problems but the timing is a little off. Might be due to the new control unit and parts so ill get timing set soon. The next step is an electronic ignition any suggestions as to the best one. ???

makinfrenzinmybenz,

This was the correct Coil for my car. the other one if for an earlier chassis number my serial is in the 050000 and after so its the newer coil.

My car needed this
Bosch# 00027/0 221 122 001
For models with chassis serial number from 036081. This is the superseded version to the Bosch blue coil, which is now silver and black.

this is the earlier version not for my car.
Bosch# 00035/0 221 119 050
For models with chassis serial number through 035213. 1 per car.

I got mine here along with two ballast and the resistor at
http://www.mercedescomplete.com fast shipping and good service.

The Condenser was maby $5.00 and had to be spliced on as the old one was attached to the distributor. A hack job but it worked. LOL

I got the control unit from these guys on ebay (I did not see a better price until i went looking for the coil) I paid $247.00 for the coil on ebay with no core return and latter found it here for cheaper. but thats what I get for not look better.

0005454132 Mercedes Ignition Control Module 220 280SE | eBay

VS

mercedes complete -- Catalog Model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in