LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Struggling Benz owner

The Benz saga continues... I got into a pair of 115s for $600 almost 3 years ago after my first one ($1200) threw a driveshaft and i stripped it down and junked it. Bad mistake, I know... I have driven the 75 240d since then, only tending to belts, hoses, filters, valves, as well as a few minor repairs-clutch slave cylinder, starter. The motor went into the 76 300d-same year,super fun. I reckon I have driven almost 20,000 miles in Tanner, and now the shocks are shot (big suprise), and there is a sudden no start issue, which left me stranded for the first time away from home. My 81 Rabbit DL is also disabled due to my hack job tightening intke bolts, but that is another story. I have been driving Bluey, the 300d, for about a week now but only with the blockheater for an hour and sometimes a freshly charged battery and only sometimes headlights.. I know they both need alot to even bring them up on maintenance- fuel lines, injectors, general stuff- not to mention vacuum as well as electrical issues. I am able to do a lot on cars, but have no shop and live in the Siberia of usa. I hope that was at least interesting to some of you.
Now my question-
Should I even bother anymore?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 1976 450 SE
Full plate

Sounds like you have a lot going on and your resources are a little dispersed. Maybe get a dirt bike to get you around, pick one (your favorite) Benz to keep and work on, and get rid of the rest. Part out or sell as is. But yeah, for sure, it is worth it. Just consolidate, not surrender!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the perspective- It has been difficult to focus. vail, co isn't really dirt-bike weather, unfortunately, 8 months out of the year. it's tough even getting any of the cars going in January... i do like what you said about consolidation- my girlfriend will never part with her rabbit though, and that 240, man what a car(tank). I guess I am mired in attachment. like my grandpa used to say- "It's always cheaper to fix it then to buy a new one." This is a guy who rebuilt the motor in his 83 300td after Nana ran it out of oil. I have been wanting to dump the 300 off at Mom's house for her sunday driver, maybe that will help. I may have gotten a little overly ambitious here. Where's Kent Bergsma when you need him?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Just a little free advice: (Worth exactly what you paid for it)

Step by step, do one thing at a time, so you can concentrate on it, and do it right.

Decide what you need to do, then learn about it, get your supplies & tools together, then do it.

Example: These things seem to run on vacuum as much as fuel, so if you're going to go through the vacuum system, get a GOOD, CORRECT diagram, some tubing, some fittings, take a day, and do it. Have the GF hold the diagram and hand you tools, if necessary. She might enjoy it. She might run screaming, too, but either way she'll know where you are and what you're doing. Next 'project', she'll either help, or get out of the way.

You might want to invest in a box of latex or preferably nitrile(blue) disposable gloves in her size. They'll keep her hands and nails clean, which may let her be more amenable to helping. I use them all the time when I work on the cars, and it makes the cleanup a lot easier.

Good luck

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for that. Yes, as I am cruising in my "back-up" Benz, I find myself contemplating the fact that I am sort of stuck with these beasts here and I ought to just get behind the adventure. First things first, I have a compression tester arriving soon to make sure what I am up against. Vacuum and fuel systems will be next, if I get some decent compression readings. Knowing me, even if i don't get good readings, I will proceed to dig deeper. I'd rather put a grand in a hundred bucks at a time, than spend a grand (which I don't have) on yet another used jalopey with it's own set of problems. I will never surrender! Probably be a decent mechanic as well after it's all said and done.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: