BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1967 250 S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Questions about 250 S

Hello! This is my first post here.
I have a 1967 250 S, got her in June after I wrecked my 1973 280. I love this vehicle very much and she is my daily driver. I don't know too much about the mechanics of cars, I have a few close people in my life who do and who help me out, but I do have a regular mechanic I go to.
I've always been really happy with my mechanics; they know I'm a repeat customer, so they have done a lot of stuff for cheap/free, but I just wanted others opinions on what was done at the last visit.
I was having power steering problems, they drained the power steering fluid and that fixed it (they did not charge me for this). Then a week later, I went out to the parking lot of my lunch break and there was power steering fluid everywhere. I took her back in and they said I needed a new seal. Could this be related to them draining it? Or is it just a coincidence it happened shortly after?
For that, they charged me $340 for labor and parts.
On the same visit, they also did the left rear wheel bearing for a total for $520.
Then they put in a new crank shaft seal (honestly, I don't even know what that is or if it was very vital to replace) for a total of $280. This one kind of rubbed me the wrong way, because I did not approve it and it was not discussed with me (I dropped her off before a trip to Vegas, then picked her up after hours a few days later).
They threw in a new window relay and put that in for me as well, also did something to my pedal (?) that makes it shift later which is awesome.
I'm just curious what you guys think about those prices. I'm not trying to sound cheap or anything, I guess I really wasn't expecting it to be that much.

Another question, my driver side window won't roll all the way up. This problem has progressed from the last 2 months of so. It starts spazzing if you try to roll it up the last inch. Any chance this is a quick/easy fix?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I for 1, hate it when mechanics do extra work without approval. Because for all you know your crank shaft seal wasn't leaking. And did not give you a voice in deciding if it was an immediate need. Prices also seem a little high, but as you said they do lots of stuff without charging. So that kind of evens out. My mech is good on labor but crazy on parts, so I try to bring my own.

Btw, which seal went out on your gearbox? My pitman arm seal shot craps. I hope I can get it installed for less than $340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in