LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
your thoughts on car color

I need some input on what color to paint my car. I've got a 1965 220 se coupe. The car originally was black leather and white paint.
I pulled the interior and changed it to blood red leather. I redid the wood and am finishing the chrome. I re-chromed the bumpers, taillight bezels, door handles, some interior parts, and some of the exterior window trim last year. I'm now sending the remaining window trim and headlight trim out for chroming. The has euro headlights and will have the euro license lights.

I'm replacing the headliner, and the main trunk floor and left wheel well, We are also doing a 6 inch square replacement at the left outer rear quarter panel. Also additional fabricating to the front quarter panel chassis due to battery acid corrosion to the metal.

Original quote was $9000+/- with me buying the sheet metal ($750) to paint it white (it's original color). For that amount of money, I want something I will keep forever. A midnight blue with blood red leather is my dream car. I used to own a 1969 280 se with red leather and was midnight blue. With the chrome work, the midnight blue was just total eye candy to me.`

Now, I'm pulling the radiator, intake manifold, master brake and brake booster, all electrical lines, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. within the engine compartment and the firewall pad. I have pulled the interior so the white can be painted blue. The doors will be removed, completely striped of attachments and everything painted blue.

Tell me what you think; if someone put a 220se coupe up for sale with 90% of the chrome done, new leather interior, 10K in paint/body work. New headliner, working trany and engine (has about 60K on the rebuild), but also said it was originally a white with black interior, yet you could not see the original colors. Would that be a problem for you?
How critical are people on the original color specs? If you do respond please also state your level of involvement in these cars; owners of other 111, 108, 113's are what I am looking for, but general feedback is appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	352234   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160002.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	352235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160003.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	352236  

Last edited by leenart; 01-16-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
WOW looking like your really getting into this! My advise would be if you want your dream car and means you will keep it longer, go all out and make it just the way you want it. Blue and Red sounds like a winner to me.

You have already got a new interior colour from original so paint colour may as well be too
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
blue and red for some reason do go together. I would have never thought it but having owned that 280se, it was a cool color, esp with the chrome
thanks!
Leoanrd
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
i own a 280se now (4 door) and would love to get a coupe one day, my top colour choice would probably be Navy car with Red interior....so if you ever sell...you have 1 potential customer

If you used the Mercedes Dark Blue blue that the coupe was available in 65 that would be nice
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Great looking project. You are doing everything correct. My son does sectioning at a body shop and you are way ahead of the game. Your color choice is wide open, Any color with a couple coats of clear should look fantastic.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 93 300SD,79 300CD work in progress
I think the white/red combo would look good.Blue/red combo would also look good.If you do change the color it sounds like you are going in the right direction and doing it the correct way.In response to future sale of the vehicle disclose the complete restoration and color change,it's only gonna sell to someone interested in that particular vehicle anyway.We are facing the same situation on a 1959 190sl right now,it's black with red interior and a new tan top.was gonna go back the same way and now my friend is thinking about a color change.He already has a mint 61 that is red and cream,I told him either white/red with the tan top or silver/red with a black top.Still up in the air,but it's a long way from that point.Gonna pull the drivetrain out this week and the rest of the runnig gear/suspension in the next couple.Then it's on to the rotissere to repair all the sheetmetal.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1975 240d
I think the blue on red combo will look amazing!
But the factory white exterior on a red interior would also look incredible.
It depends on the owner, and you want it blue.
So go with blue!

1975 240D - boot scoot 'n boggy'n.
1995 Geo Metro 1L 5 speed - Fuel sippah.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Maybe keep it white but do and really deep candy red roof to go with the interior. Depends whether you like the two tone look.

If not go with the midnight blue. If its your "dream car" then go for it!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all, looks like dark blue with red interior is the right direction. As for didntdoit's comments, I agree you would have to disclose the changes, but for me I wouldn't care so long as it was done right and you didn't see the original color in the engine compartment. Just to be thorough I'm going to paint the dash, inside tire wells under the rear seat.
thanks leenart
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Dark blue 904 looks amazing on these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in