1976 250c Head Gasket Replacement - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Look for my thread on my 200. It's about the same procedure.

I have pictures and details about when I replaced my head gasket. As someone said. this is a harder procedure than most activities.

1. First find the C link as someone mentioned. Be careful and not drop the link and clips into the motor. I usually set the engine to TDC, then remove the link. I also mark the distributor and make sure it's TDC by taking the valve cover off and making sure the #1 valves are closed. To prevent something falling into the engine, I stuff rags around the area, so if the link falls, it just lands on the rags.

2. Get some wire, and do not let the chain drop into the engine. This should not be much a problem if it does, but its a hassle.

3. Then you can start to take the engine apart. You will need to remove the chain guides. (Again, best look at my thread about it.)

4. Much more disassemble and best to look at the manual. This should get you started and then you can ask more questions.

5. Inspect the motor. If the coolant has not been replaced at regular intervals, there could be damage to the motor.

6. Before you spend money on the head, I would have it pressure checked. No sense spending money on a bad head.

Usual caveats. I am not a professional mechanic, and these comments are my opinion. USe are your own risk.

Hope this is of some help. I got lots of good help, as I was doing mine.

Link to my thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...966-200-a.html

-- brett

Last edited by bfrymire; 11-23-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi again
I've had another go at removing the cam chain tonight. I still have had no luck with it. We have checked over every inch of the chain carefully and cannot locate any 'c' clips where the chain can be seperated. Instead of breaking the chain, is there a technique to release pressure in the chain tensioner which will allow the chain to slacken and lift the chain off the top sprocket?
Thanks once again
Callum
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
(Thread Starter)
Also, Hi Brett, I have looked through your thread that you provided the link to and I can't see anything that refers to the specific issue i'm having. The info was still very useful though and will help me later on.
Thanks
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Don't do that. You could damage the cam or the sprocket.

I will take a picture tomorrow and post what it looks like.

-- brett
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

I think most of my progress was on a differnt forum.

I will go back and add some more details.

-- brett
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph101 View Post
Hi again
I've had another go at removing the cam chain tonight. I still have had no luck with it. We have checked over every inch of the chain carefully and cannot locate any 'c' clips where the chain can be seperated. Instead of breaking the chain, is there a technique to release pressure in the chain tensioner which will allow the chain to slacken and lift the chain off the top sprocket?
Thanks once again
Callum
They are there and are very small. It took me a while to locate the master link. You cannot remove the chain without removing the master link. Unless you want to break something.
Like I said the "C" clips are on the back side of the chain and are very small. Here is a pic of what you are looking for and again they are very small
Attached Images

True success is being the master of your own time.

Last edited by rudedude; 11-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
Hi Murph101
One issue you should be wary of is the state of the aluminium cylinder head. I bought a 1968 230 Automatic with a "blown head gasket" for only $500. On inspection the reconditioners more or less refused to do anyhting to it because it had cracked and been welded. The welding softened the aluminium and it had eroded badly between the cylinders.
Several replacement heads from auto wreckers were also rejected, and I eventually found a guy in Adelaide who had acquired a few Euro engines which had been imported many years ago, and in which proper coolant had been used. A cylinder head from one of those was all good, and so my mechanic fitted that, and the car has been going well ever since. I keep it in the country and go for a drive about once a month at speeds of 60 -70 -80 miles an hour. It started to overheat but I got the radiator flushed and it has been OK since.
The moral of the story is that, in Australia in the 1960s and 70s, they used water instead of coolant and practically every engine /cyliner head from that era is corroded.
So when you get it off (and I can't help you with the cam shaft issue) get it checked VERY carefully.
all the best
David
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Took some pictures.

Here's the chain and the link. You can see it is a slightly different color, and you can see the c-clips that need to be removed.

In the second picture, you can see the pins in the head that have to be removed after you get the chain apart. The factory tool is a small slide hammer. I used a bolt, an oversized socket and some washers to pull the pin out.

Finally, I agree with David. That is what happened to my head. My cousin who was driving the car last, never changed the coolant, and there was extensive corrosion. Head failed pressure check, and machine shop would not recondition the head.

Hope this helps.

-- brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timingchain.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	343882  
Attached Images

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1970 250c, 300e amg
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
you do not need to take the chain out. Once you have loosened the tensioners as in picture 2 the chain should have some play. You can tap out the sprocket, just make sure the chain does not fall into the block. If Im not mistaken, the haynes manuals have a step by step on removing the head. I have changed the head head on the same engine, if you have all your tools in order , it shouldnt take more than 2 hours to take off. good luck
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1970 250c, 300e amg
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
just confirmed with a buddy. The haynes manual does have step by step instructions and he told me they are very clear and simple. By the way, I had the head welded in spots and the welds did not hold up. had to buy another head from chuck at Allbenz. good luck once again
jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in