post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Turning a W115 into a Muscle Car!

Hi everyone

Well I was wondering.... I have an old W115 and I'd like to turn it into something new. As I don't have much money (my dream would be of course a Brabus W124 with a 7,3L V12... but yes), I have decided I will do everything by myself and will try to get cheap parts wherever I can! I thought I'd take the engine from an old american car with enough horsepower (let's say 400?!) from the car yard (I could probably get it for free) but I am not sure if it will fit in the W115 and if that works, will a 5L V8 fit in it? I'm thinking of turning it into something like this:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

I guess the look is the last and easiest part. So does anyone have some tipps where to start and what to do? I've never done something like that before so I'm like a stupid sheep at this point Any help is appreciated!

Greets
Revs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
an M117 V8 as found in the 560 SEL or even better in a 560 SL will be a straight fit with the right selection of parts. With the money and time saved from fabricating you can source a blower and get some decent power. Good thing with that alloy block V8 is that you can keep stock suspension and brakes. That will save you some more work and expenses. And the car will keep its balance.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I first had the same idea, but what does a Mercedes engine like that cost? Aren't they expensive, even if used? Only chance would be from a wreckage, if the engine is still in good condition of course, but where else can I find one for sale?

I actually wanted to change pretty much everything in the car, suspension, gearbox, brakes, etc. The original car is a 220D with 60 horsepower so I'm not sure if these brakes will be able to stop a V8 monster
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You should buy a complete car, wrecked but with good mechanical elements. You have no idea how much you will be saving by having all what you need handily available rather than buying everithing retail price. Once you're done you part out the left overs of the donor car and hopefully you can recoup the price you purchased the donor car. I did exactly that and I ended up having all what I needed for free.

Ideally you should find a wrecked 560SL as they share the same chassis with the W114/115 so you will have all upgrades readily available: suspension, brakes etc. You could go for a W126 but parts compatibility is more problematic so you will end up spending more buying what is not matching. an SL may be a bit more expensive but if you deduct the cost of what you would have to purchase additionally if you buy a W126 and taking into consideration that you will sell the left over SL parts a better price it is still a better deal. 450SLs or even SLCs are cheaper but you only get a 4.5L iron block which is 150 pounds heavier than the alloy V8.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes 280 SE 3.5 coupe, pagoda 230 SL '64, 500 E W124, CE 220 Cabrio, E 320 T W211, w126 6.0 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Monster W115

Hi GGR, you are wright, but a SLC would cost less and the rear end ist the same as W 115?! But I think it will depends on where you stay. So in USA it will be easier to look vor a US V8 in Europe a Mercedes will be found easier.

What series is your W115, first series has a different front axle mount, 2.series have the 107/116 mount. The SL 2° series have modified fron axle for taking up the W124 parts.

Bst Pagodino
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
I'd skip the black and orange stripes and the oversized AMG logos.

Current
09 AMG C63 Metallic Steel Grey
06 X3 Silver
03 996TTX50 Black
In Loving Memory of my Bank Account
05 AMG C55 Brilliant Silver
99 AMG C43 Black
97 M-3 4D Silver
95 325i 4D Black
85 318 coupe Black
95 993RS Black
85 911 Red
83 911 Cab White
80 911 Met Black
78 911 Cashmere
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Haha yea don't worry - I actually want it in gray but with black rims, black grill and black Mercedes Logo/Writing at the back! And I want to replace other chrome parts like around the windows in black, I'm sure it will look cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR View Post
You should buy a complete car, wrecked but with good mechanical elements. You have no idea how much you will be saving by having all what you need handily available rather than buying everithing retail price. Once you're done you part out the left overs of the donor car and hopefully you can recoup the price you purchased the donor car. I did exactly that and I ended up having all what I needed for free.

Ideally you should find a wrecked 560SL as they share the same chassis with the W114/115 so you will have all upgrades readily available: suspension, brakes etc. You could go for a W126 but parts compatibility is more problematic so you will end up spending more buying what is not matching. an SL may be a bit more expensive but if you deduct the cost of what you would have to purchase additionally if you buy a W126 and taking into consideration that you will sell the left over SL parts a better price it is still a better deal. 450SLs or even SLCs are cheaper but you only get a 4.5L iron block which is 150 pounds heavier than the alloy V8.
That sounds good. See, I didn't know that! So a 560SL... I'll note that Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagodino
Hi GGR, you are wright, but a SLC would cost less and the rear end ist the same as W 115?! But I think it will depends on where you stay. So in USA it will be easier to look vor a US V8 in Europe a Mercedes will be found easier.

What series is your W115, first series has a different front axle mount, 2.series have the 107/116 mount. The SL 2° series have modified fron axle for taking up the W124 parts.

Bst Pagodino
Well I am from Europe aswell so yes it will be easier to find a Mercedes
To be honest I don't even know - I just know that it's from 1972!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
You'll have issues with the brake booster and with the fitment of the engine. When I owened a 114, I was looking at doing the same thing. Not having experience with welding or fabrication at the time, I left the project alone.

However, anything will fit into anything else, as long as you have wrenching/mechanic/welding skills. As you go down this road, take pictures and post everything - I'd be interested in watching progress.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560sl, 1973 220, 2009 ml350
hi there, this thread is how a found this forum. having pretty much the exact idea from the original post, chevy 350cid v-8 into my 73 220. having measured the available space in the car it will only just fit, but there are a couple of other concerns that come up as i consider what i'll be demanding of the remaining original parts.

i see the suspension has already been discussed, but would the springs be all that is needed to support the new load? used parts won't be easy to find as i'm in texas, but i have one or two old connections so it might be possible. also stabalizer bars, is there a similar enough model with beefy sway bars to be fitted to the 220? i might be american but i do like to turn corners sometimes :P

afterthought on the springs, might there be airbags available that would fit this little car? hmm, this may end up a total frankenmonster...

on to the next point which is the other end of the car, namely the back axle and driveshafts, how much horsepower can those handle? i'll have about 400 hp coming from the engine if i don't downtune it, and i'd rather not do all this work just to frag the rear end. also what is the gear ratio in the typical 220's rear diff?

thanks for any info and answers. and i'll try to remember to get some pics, starting with the car as it is now and moving through the project.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Youre going to need money.

Youre going to need a lot of money.

Even if you fabricate things yourself, you will need tools and a space to work. However, don't let this discourage you. Start out by working on your car as it is. Get it in tip-top shape. Make sure everything works good. Even though its a 60hp car it still has all the same bits as a 600hp car. You should familiarize yourself with how they all work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in