LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just got a 280SE 4.5 W108 1972

Hi, I been reading all over this forum, and found lots of good info.

so about the car, it looks like someone really took good care of it for 37 years and the last one year the guy who I bought it from did not care for it. the car is pretty clean (I will post pictures). This is my first project car, I am 26 and planning to restore this car over time. the hardest things I ever done on a car is changing timing belt and the power steering rack. I usually use my two cents but with this car I want the shop manual that comes on a CD or something, but not able to find it.

I want to list the issues and what I think is causing it and have you guys please give me feedback on anything:

-Power steering Leak and when full hard to steer to one direction (the hoses seem to leak, the fluid foams up, air in the system possibly, bleed the system)
-Brake is really spongy (thinking it might be the break calipers leaking)
-Engine seem to burn a little oil
-can smell coolant inside the car
-defrost controls dont seem to work
-once the starter just spin and didnt wanna start up the car (should I worry about this, what can be done?)

This is not a daily driver and is just going to sit in a garage until I fully restore it. also I am planning to do all the labor myself so where is the best place to get parts. (any experience with aftermarket parts available?) I prefer rebuilt OEM anytime over aftermarket.

I will post some pictures this weekend.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats! You can get a manual from the MB Classic center as well as signing up for EPC which gives you access to part# and assembly breakdowns.
All the issues you mentioned are maintenance issues. Your heater valves need to be rebuilt(Stiff/leaking) or hoses replaced, power steering system needs to be rebuilt/resealed, your starter will eventually strand you if you don't replace it(don't ask how I know) and I would totally rebuild your brake system. Your valve stem seals are probably NG-hopefully just that. if you don't have maint records I would assume anything made of rubber is 39 years old and needs to be replaced if you want the car to be reliable and safe.

280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress

Last edited by 3.5 Tony; 11-05-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Check the rotors and pads. Also the flexible hoses to the front calipers. When these go, you won't have brakes.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
If you have no brake fluid leaks and the brakes feel spongy, you may have issues with the booster as well. I'd start with bleeding all four corners to get rid of any water or air in the lines.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys, yes the brakers and power steering are the first ones for me to look at, white smoke comes out a little out of the exhaust but for now I am just going to make sure water and oil levels are good until I get a chance to open things up.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: