FUEL - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to drain the fuel out of my 1972 350sl with out pulling the tank. i want to drain it by undoing the pressure side of the fuel line under the hood, put a longer line on and drain into a bucket. How do i keep the fuel pump running with a jumper wire in the fuel pump relay? i cant seem to figure out which terminals to jump. and i dont want to blow any fuses.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1964 Mercedes 220Sb
I wouldn't recommend that, you can burn out the pump and more than likely clog the fuel pump with the crap your trying to get out of the tank, plus the stuff will probably stay in the tank. there should be a large drain on the bottom of the tank as well, I think.

your better off getting under the car and unhooking the gas line from the tank or if you have good access to the tank through the fill hole drain it from there. (my car there is nothing besides the gas cap blocking access to the fuel, I could probably scoop it out with a cup lol.)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
Usually the fitting and hose from the tank to the pump is aged. check it replace it and drain the tank that way,

It is the cloth covered vertical hose disappearing above the pump into the black hole of the tank.

Brian O
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2010
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help guys. i have to tell u the story behind this car. My grandfather was very wealthy and lived in FL. Him and a buddy were walking past a barn that had a beat up car inside. Turns out it was a 1972 350sl convertible. My grandfather bet the guy that he would take him for a ride in this car in 2 years time. His buddy took the bet. My grandfather bought the car from the owner and put it the body shop then on to the mechanic shop. About a 1 1/2 years later, his buddy died. The car was 90% done and he quit working on it. My grandfather died 3 months ago and the car came into my hands.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1976 450 SLC
old gas

how long has this car sat with old gas, without running?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post Issues with barn finds

We "found" our original 1958 180a that we sold in 1972. It had been sitting for 30 years. The 3 major issues were brakes, engine and fluids. 2 years and $10,000 later it looks like new and runs great. This was more money than we spent on all of the Mercedes we owned in the 70' and 80's! Since it was our first one it had value beyond market price.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: