BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SEL View Post
Hi,
after reading your latest post I understand now why you want some big wheels and a lowrider. LOL.

Good luck
This sarcastic quote doesn't really help the vibe of the forum in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
D&Wcali,

There are a number of things you should consider while lowering the car. First is camber, that will be affected both in the front and in the back. To some extent you can readjust it in the front, but it will be more difficult in the back. Too much camber in the back is not good for the joint in the rear axle. Second, if you cut the springs, they will be a bit stiffer and won't match your shocks perfectly anymore, resulting in a difference in handling and the way road inequalities are transmitted to the passengers. That's something I learned recently. I wanted to fit stiffer shocks and did some reading on the net. In fact shocks are matched to the sprigs characteristics and altering it too much results in affected handling.

If you want to get the 6.3s stance I would first try to get the car as low as possible with stock parts. You can order the thinnest rubber shims that go on top of front and rear springs. In the back, you can further adjust the plates on the trail arms. there are three different height adjustments there. You may end up getting what you want or close to it without geopardizing the car's characteristics.

Last edited by GGR; 11-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR View Post
D&Wcali,

There are a number of things you should consider while lowering the car. First is camber, that will be affected both in the front and in the back. To some extent you can readjust it in the front, but it will be more difficult in the back. Too much camber in the back is not good for the joint in the rear axle. Second, if you cut the springs, they will be a bit stiffer and won't match your shocks perfectly anymore, resulting in a difference in handling and the way road inequalities are transmitted to the passengers. That's something I learned recently. I wanted to fit stiffer shocks and did some reading on the net. In fact shocks are matched to the sprigs characteristics and altering it too much results in affected handling.

If you want to get the 6.3s stance I would first try to get the car as low as possible with stock parts. You can order the thinnest rubber shims that go on top of front and rear springs. In the back, you can further adjust the plates on the trail arms. there are three different height adjustments there. You may end up getting what you want or close to it without geopardizing the car's characteristics.
Thanks for the info. I've gone through the process of lowering a bunch of my cars and have found that if the lowering is just a small amount I've never had any problems, even with stock springs but in saying that i've never done a w108 before. I always go with the thinnest pads so I can keep the spring drop to a minimum. makes it easy to adjust if required also.

Again thanks for the info, I actually think my car has incorrect springs in the front as it sits VERY high compared to most other w108's I see.
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Theres a plenty amount of haters on this forum. My car is gonna hit the streets,beaches,and then clubs while its with me. I enjoy my cars and im young. i just got rid of porsche 928s and a 70 fastback mustang in the last month and those were both stock. So why cant i switch it up a bit with the w108?
Yes i do love lowriders, mini trucks, vip styled cars, and classics but thats my thing. Like some one said "my money, my car".
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&WCali View Post
Thanks for the info. I've gone through the process of lowering a bunch of my cars and have found that if the lowering is just a small amount I've never had any problems, even with stock springs but in saying that i've never done a w108 before. I always go with the thinnest pads so I can keep the spring drop to a minimum. makes it easy to adjust if required also.

Again thanks for the info, I actually think my car has incorrect springs in the front as it sits VERY high compared to most other w108's I see.

I also think you car looks a bit high in the front. It could also be due to wrong rubber shims. Try to locate the p/n on your springs, front and rear. I will then be able to tell you if they are right or wrong for your car and I will alo be able to give you all alternative srings for your model with their dimensions (including length) as it is all listed in the w/shop manual.

The secificity of the W108 is that its swing axle is connected to the car's body in its center. So, cotrarily to live axles or true independent suspension systems shortening the springs make the wheels go up while the center remains at the same place, hence increased camber. You could address this by adding a shim in between the boot floor and the center rubber mount to have the center go higher. You should aim at 0 degree camber or 1degree negative camber.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
I also think you car looks a bit high in the front. It could also be due to wrong rubber shims. Try to locate the p/n on your springs, front and rear. I will then be able to tell you if they are right or wrong for your car and I will alo be able to give you all alternative srings for your model with their dimensions (including length) as it is all listed in the w/shop manual.

The secificity of the W108 is that its swing axle is connected to the car's body in its center. So, cotrarily to live axles or true independent suspension systems shortening the springs make the wheels go up while the center remains at the same place, hence increased camber. You could address this by adding a shim in between the boot floor and the center rubber mount to have the center go higher. You should aim at 0 degree camber or 1degree negative camber.
Everything you say makes sense... I'll have a look for the part numbers. I don't know if i'll have much luck just crawling under there no no jack or flashlight but we'll see When I purchased the car the rear diff/axle mount located in the boot was installed upside down (thus raising it by about 1") When I had the rear mount replaced I had it put in the correct way.

do the w108's have bumps on the shims to indicate the thickness like newer merc's?
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes 280 SE 3.5 coupe, pagoda 230 SL '64, 500 E W124, CE 220 Cabrio, E 320 T W211, w126 6.0 AMG
AMG Spring mods

Well, AMG in the late 60's lowered the W111 AND w108 by cutting 3/4 and 1/2 (front and rear) so the car comes down 1 inch (2.5 cm ca). I made this to every W111 and 108 I owend and it gives the bewst handling in any case.

Lowering W112 and W109 is easier by the airsuspension, only getting down 2,5 cm not more! If the ride has to bmore sportive you have to go the way of modified bushings (see metalic red 6.8 of a german consul, which was full 340 hp Amg car). Other mod is to replas the pressure controller by a hand-driven one wich can modify during running from the cockpit. Lowered and higher prusser made the care more sportif in the case. Not using this upset every time becuase of reducing livetime of the valves.

Best Pagodino
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:17 AM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagodino View Post
Well, AMG in the late 60's lowered the W111 AND w108 by cutting 3/4 and 1/2 (front and rear) so the car comes down 1 inch (2.5 cm ca). I made this to every W111 and 108 I owend and it gives the bewst handling in any case.
Here you go. Still make sure of the springs you have on the car, at least by measuring the diameter of the "wire", it will narrow down the possibilities.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Here you go. Still make sure of the springs you have on the car, at least by measuring the diameter of the "wire", it will narrow down the possibilities.
I'll get back on here with what I find when I have been under there, should get a chance this weekend!
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
Send a message via AIM to scottx
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&WCali View Post
oh nice, it would be nice to get my car sorted in the next few weeks.

haven't been following wheels for sale lately but if i see anything ill let you know, something might be on the other forums i look at

heres some pics

Wow! Beautiful car!

Professional Mobile Electronics Installer & Fabricator [R]
Champagne Dream - w201.024 - http://www.ChampagneDream.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in